A simple and delicious homemade Zucchini Spread (Ikra). Grated zucchini and vegetables sauteed as a delicious spread served great with bread, for breakfast, or as a dinner side dish.
Ikra is a classic Russian side dish. There are many different forms of Ikra, such as this Chunky Ikra Recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This classic Russian dish is such an easy recipe! I particularly love this Zucchini Spread (Irka). The zucchini is grated and sauteed with carrots and onion in a creamy garlic tomato paste.
My favorite way to enjoy this spread is over toast with sliced avocado, an egg and loaded with the the ikra – so delicious.
how to make zucchini spread, ikra-
- Grate the zucchini, carrots, and finely chop the onion.
- In a deep skillet (or Dutch oven), heat oil over medium/high heat. Add carrots and onion, saute 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the grated zucchini. Saute 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently (until all the excess liquid is gone) and zucchini is tender.
- Stir in the grated tomato, garlic, salt, sugar and pepper and herbs. Mix well and turn the heat down to low, let simmer another 5 minutes.
- Enjoy friends.
how long will ikra spread last?
Zucchini spread will stay fresh up to two weeks if refrigerated in an airtight container.
I hope you give this classic Russian zucchini spread (ikra) recipe a try and love it as much as we do! Don’t forget to leave us feedback in the comments below, we love to hear your feedback.
Try these other great zucchini recipes-
- Zucchini Fritters– Delicious breakfast recipe.
- Fried Zucchini Recipe– A great zucchini appetizer recipe.
- Canned Zucchini– Recipe for canned zucchini.
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread– A twist on banana bread.
Zucchini Spread (Ikra) Recipe
- Grate zucchini. Grate carrots and tomato and finely chop the onion.
- In a deep skillet (or Dutch oven), heat oil on medium/high heat. Add carrots and onion, saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add grated zucchini. Saute 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently (until all the excess liquid is gone) and zucchini is tender.
- Add grated tomato, garlic salt, sugar, and pepper. Stir everything, turn the heat down to low and let simmer another 5 minutes.