The easiest Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich recipe. Thin slices of chicken sautéed with peppers, onions, and mushroom and loaded with cheese served in a hoagie roll.
This is the perfect sandwich for lunch or dinner with a side of homemade fries!
Though we love a good classic Philly Sandwich (or easy party sliders), this sandwich is just as amazing!
Enjoy this video tutorial on How to Make Chicken Philly Sandwich. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
what goes into a chicken Philly?
The ingredients for the Chicken Philly sandwich are so simple and I bet you already have them in your refrigerator! Chicken sauteed with peppers, onion, and mushrooms and loaded with cheese on a hoagie roll, SO GOOD.
- CHICKEN- Though I used chicken breast for this recipe, you can easily substitute for chicken thighs with great results!
- VEGETABLES- I like onion, peppers, and mushrooms for the sandwich. We used green peppers but a mix of green and red peppers is wonderful as well!
- CHEESE- The name gives it away CHEESEsteak. We want lots and lots of cheese in the sandwich. Though provolone is the most popular cheese used in a Philly sandwich, we’ve tested with American and Swiss with great results.
how to make a Chicken Philly sandwich?
- Slice the onion and peppers into thin strands, slice the mushrooms. Saute the vegetables until reached the desired tenderness.
- Saute chicken until cooked through.
- Add the vegetables back into the skillet, and the garlic season. Top with cheese and close lid on the skillet until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread rolls.
- To serve, spread mayo over the rolls and top with the chicken veggies and cheese. Enjoy immediately.
what bread should I use for a Chicken Philly Cheesesteak?
The classic Philly is served over a hoagie roll (long flat roll). However, any white roll or sandwich bread will work for this recipe.
Just like in most restaurants that serve the sandwich, toasting the buns adds so much crispiness to it. We like!
Fancy sandwiches don’t have to feel intimidating or something you only order at the restaurant. We love to make the Chicken Philly Cheesesteak sandwich at home because it’s just so easy to make.
Try our other GREAT sandwiches:
- Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese– for the grilled cheese fans.
- Chicken Avocado Bacon Panini– perfect combination of flavors.
- Broccoli Chicken Bread Boats– like a loaded pizza.
- Chipotle Bacon Avocado Sandwich– with the best sauce!
I hope you love this chicken sandwich as much as our family. If you make the recipe, leave us feedback below, we love hearing from you.
Chicken Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
- 3/4 lb chicken breast boneless skinless, thin sliced
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- 4 oz provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 hoagie rolls (sandwich rolls)
- mayo, optional
- Thinly slice the chicken breast. Slice the onion, mushrooms and cut green peppers into thin strands.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms, peppers and onions with butter and oil until the vegetables are desired doneness. Remove from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, saute chicken until cooked through. Add the vegetables back to the skillet.
- Add the garlic and seasonings, cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Top chicken and veggies with the cheese. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow the cheese to melt.
- Toast the buns and spread with mayonnaise. (TIP: If you like spicy, add sriracha or hot sauce to the mayo.)
- Divide the cheesy chicken and veggies between two buns.
- Enjoy, friends.
- You can substitute the chicken breast for chicken thighs.
- Toast the hoagie rolls for added crispiness to the bread.
- Depending on the size of your hoagie rolls, you may be able to get more sandwiches than two.