Homemade Beef Stroganoff Recipe. Juicy thin slices of beef seared and smothered in a rich mushroom gravy sauce. This EASY one-pan dish is ready in just 30 minutes.
What is Beef Stroganoff?
Tender beef strips in flavor-packed beef gravy with sautéed mushrooms and onion.
Where does Beef Stroganoff come from? The Classic Beef Stroganoff originates from Russian in the late 1800s. The recipe has since become popular around the world with different variations.
What’s the best cut of meat for beef stroganoff?
Since the beef is quickly seared and you don’t want to overcook the meat, we highly recommend getting a good quality tender marbled meat. Here are the options to go with:
- Ribeye steak
- Sirloin steak
- Beef tenderloin
- Flank steak
|Chef’s TIP: Freeze the meat for 15 minutes so it is easiest to cut the thin slices.|
How to make Beef Stroganoff?
This quick recipe is so easy to make. Be sure to have your side ready so you aren’t waiting for it to cool as the beef cools.
- In a skillet, heat the oil. Once hot, cook the beef in two batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. You’ll need to sear the meat for about 2 minutes, flipping once. Lightly season with salt and pepper, cook just until lightly browned.
- Remove beef from the skillet, cover to keep warm.
- Add the onion and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring as needed. Add the mushrooms and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the butter and garlic. Once the butter melts, add the flour and stir.
- In a bowl, whisk together the broth, sour cream, and mustard. Continuously stirring, pour into the skillets.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the beef strips back into the skillet. Cook until the meat is reheated and gravy sauce thickens.
- Serve over your favorite side.
- Enjoy, friends.
FAQ’s and TIPS for Beef Stroganoff:
- How long with the Beef Stroganoff keep? Store the Beef Stroganoff in the refrigerator 3-4 days.
- What goes good with Beef Stroganoff? Serve the beef in mushroom gravy over mashed potatoes, buttered egg noodles or even rice.
- Can I leave out the onion? If you don’t like thick slices of onion, leave them out completely or just chop them fine (once sauteed, the texture of the onion won’t be noticed).
Oh, I hope you love this classic Russian Beef Stroganoff recipe as much as we do. The flavor-packed mushroom gravy with beef makes for a great one-pan dinner.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1½ lbs beef sirloin, thin strips
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil (canola or olive oil)
- 1 small onion, sliced or diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced
Cook meat & veggies-
- In a skillet, heat oil. Once hot, sear the beef strips for 2 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Lightly season with salt and pepper (Cook in two batches.) Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Add the onions to the same skillet and cook until tender. Add mushrooms and continue cook until golden.
- Add the butter and garlic to the skillet. Once melted, quickly stir in the flour.
- In a small bowl, combine beef broth, sour cream and dijon mustard. Add to the skillet, stirring. Bring sauce to simmer.
- Add the beef back into the skillet and cook until meat it reheated.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.