Juicy and tender recipe for Ham Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast in a flavorful lemon garlic sauce. This simple recipe for chicken breast stuffed with cheese and ham will become a favorite dinner recipe that you will want to serve on a regular basis.
Our Broccoli Stuffed Chicken is another great way to stuff a chicken breast.
recipe for stuffed chicken-
This easy stuffed chicken with ham and cheese recipe will change the way you feel about chicken recipes. Proper seasoning will take any chicken breast recipe from good to great! Stuffing your chicken breast with ingredients not only add flavor to the recipe but gives the recipe restaurant like quality and appeal.
This stuffed chicken recipe was inspired by my love for chicken cordon bleu recipe. I love the added ham and cheese and breading and once fried, it’s just perfection. In this recipe, we just skip the breading and add a lemon sauce that the ham and cheese stuffed chicken is smothered. It’s an amazing recipe loaded with so much flavors.
tips for making ham and cheese stuffed chicken-
- For this recipe you can use Swiss, Provolone or Gruyere cheese and all will perform great.
- Don’t forget to remove the toothpicks after the chicken is seared and before adding to the lemon sauce. (You don’t want to have to search for them once you’re eating and you most definitely don’t want to bite into a toothpick – not good! Ha! You’re welcome.)
- When cutting the chicken breast, don’t cut all the way through. You want the pocket to hold the cheese that will melt.
- Be sure to sear the chicken on med/high heat so it’s crispy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. Add the chicken once oil is hot.
- Baking time will vary depending on your oven and size of chicken breast. Don’t overcook the chicken, it will not be as juicy and taste a bit dry (and you want to serve the juiciest chicken. Since you are searing the chicken before baking it, the bake time isn’t long.
- Test the internal temp of the chicken, it should read 165°F once cooked.
what can I serve with the ham & cheese stuffed chicken?
- Mashed potatoes go great with this stuffed chicken with ham and cheese recipe. The lemon garlic sauce can be used as a gravy over the mashed potatoes.
- If you don’t like mashed potatoes, rice or pasta may also be used.
- Enjoy the stuffed chicken with a heaping bowl of a salad like this Spring Salad.
Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast in Sauce
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ lb ham, sliced
- 8 slices cheese, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F at step 5.
- Lightly beat chicken breast with a meat mallet so the breasts are even in thickness. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Create opening in chicken breast to form a pocket. Add two halves of cheese, ham and two more halved slices, tucking ingredients into the pocket. Lightly secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large oven-safe skillet. Carefully add chicken and cook 6 minutes on both sides (until chicken is golden and crispy). Remove chicken.
- In the same skillet, add butter and garlic. Saute for a minute, stirring frequently. Add flour, mix vigorously. Add chicken broth, lemon juice and lightly season with salt and pepper, mix until everything is incorporated. Simmer another minute until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add chicken back to the skillet. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover skillet with foil and bake 15-20 minutes until chicken is fully cooked.
This stuffed chicken breast is such an awesome way to fancy up plain chicken breast. It’s so appealing and so delicious.
Try these other CHICKEN recipes:
- Tomato Basil Chicken in Wine Sauce– the wine sauce is so GOOD!
- Mushroom Stuffed Chicken in Alfredo Sauce– in amazing Alfredo sauce.
- Chicken Breast in Skillet– Simple chicken that is so versatile!
NOTE: See this RECIPE on Julie’s Eats and Treats where the recipe was posted first.