This classic Chocolate Cupcake Recipe is the perfect cupcake for any occasion! Fluffy and moist basic cupcake batter with a chocolate frosting – an amazing combination of flavor.
BEST CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE RECIPE-
We love this classic chocolate cupcake batter! The cupcakes come out so soft and fluffy – a chocolate lover’s dream. Top the homemade chocolate cupcakes with frosting and you got yourselves the ultimate chocolate dessert!
You can have the best chocolate cupcakes ready with just a few simple kitchen ingredients you most likely already have on hand!
- Flour– Be sure to use good quality all-purpose flour for these cupcakes!
- Baking Powder & Soda– This is what helps the cupcakes rise and become fluffy.
- Cocoa Powder– Make sure you use our good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Sugar– To sweeten the cupcakes, you want to use granulated sugar.
- Eggs– Eggs act as the binding agent for the batter.
- Milk– You want to use whole milk to add extra moisture to the cupcakes.
- Sour Cream– We love adding sour cream to give the batter even more moisture!
- Vanilla– Vanilla extract for extra flavors.
- Oil– Canola oil, vegetable or extra light olive oil may be used.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES-
You will not believe how easy it is to whip up these chocolate cupcakes from scratch!
- Prep– Preheat the oven and line cupcake pans with liners for 18 cupcakes.
- Dry Ingredients– Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- Wet Ingredients– In a bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until creamy. Add in the milk, sour cream, vanilla, and oil and mix until combined.
- Combine– Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently mix until combined. Divide the batter between 18 cupcake liners.
- Bake– Bake the cupcakes until cooked through. Remove from the cupcake pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost & Decorate– Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, top the cupcakes with the desired frosting and decorate.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Chef’s Tip: You want to be sure not to overbake the cupcakes! Run a toothpick through the center of the cupcake and once it comes out clean they are done!
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE VARIATIONS-
Once you have your classic chocolate cupcakes, the variations of cupcakes are endless! Here are some of our favorite ways to change up the cupcakes:
- Filling– Fill the cupcakes with different kinds of fillings such as syrups, jams or sauces! We love filling it with dulce de leche, caramel, chocolate syrup, peanut butter, chocolate ganache, cherry pie filling, jams and more.
- Toppings– A simple way to add flavor to your cupcake is with your choice of toppings. You can use fruit, crushed candy, sprinkles, syrups, fruit, and more.
- Frosting– Top the cupcakes with any of your favorite frostings for the ultimate dessert. Try using our classic Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting or our rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
This cupcake batter makes 18 cupcakes!
These cupcakes freeze great before they are frosted! Add the cupcakes into a freezer-safe container or plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to enjoy, thaw the cupcakes in the fridge overnight.
Yes! This batter can be made with the mini cupcake pan, the bake time will be less!
Store these cupcakes either naked or frosted! Store the cupcakes for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container at room temp or in the fridge.
You’ll want to use unsweetened cocoa powder; we use this one.
MORE CUPCAKES AND MUFFINS-
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Banana Bread Muffin
- Blueberry Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and eggs until combined. Add the milk, sour cream, vanilla extract and oil and combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and gently mix until combined. With a cookie scooper or ¼ measuring cup, divide the batter between the 18 cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350°F for about 16-18 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and cool on a cooling rack.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, top with the frosting then decorate and serve.