Coconut Ice Cream Balls is a recipe for a quick ice cream dessert. Vanilla ice cream dipped in toasted coconut shavings with a chocolate drizzle, fresh berries and whipped cream. The easiest summer dessert.
Summer calls for easy desserts – especially ice cream. This recipe is almost too easy to even call it a recipe but it’s a KEEPER. The combination of ice cream with whipped cream, coconut and berries is amazing.
how to make coconut ice cream balls:
- Set ice cream out so it thaws a bit and is easier to work with. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread coconut flakes onto a baking sheet in a thin layer. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until coconut flakes are golden and toasted. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare a large platter or cutting board by covering it with parchment paper. (It needs to be fit into the freezer.) Shape the ice cream into 6 balls. TIP: Don’t worry if the shapes aren’t perfect, this will be easily fixed once they are dipped into the coconut.
- Put the ice cream balls into the freezer until ice cream balls are frozen.
- Wash the berries and slice the strawberries.
- Take each ball and completely coat it in the cooled flakes.
- Place onto a platter.
- Drizzle ice cream balls with chocolate syrup and top with whipped cream (on top or side), Add fresh berries and serve immediately.
can I make this in advance?
Yes, these can be prepared a few days in advance. Once you coat the ice cream in the toasted coconut, just keep it frozen until it’s ready to be served.
NOTE: You can also serve this over warm brownies. At a church party, we served the dish as a warm brownie with couple scoops of ice cream, topping it with the coconut shavings then berries, whipped cream and chocolate. It was a huge HIT. We did it as part of a fundraiser lunch and people ordered like crazy. 🙂
Coconut Ice Cream Balls
- 1 1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream
- 3 cups sweetened coconut, toasted
- whipped cream
- fresh blueberries
- Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- Spread coconut flakes onto a baking sheet evenly into a thin layer.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes at 350°F until golden, set aside to cool.
- Set ice cream out so it thaws a but and is easier to work with.
- Line a platter with parchment paper.
- Shape the ice cream into six balls.
- Put the ice cream balls into the freezer until it freezes
- Take each ball and dip it into the cooled coconut flakes. Adding them to lined platter.
- Top ice cream balls with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and berries.
- If not serving immediately, freeze the coated ice cream until it's ready to be served.