One Pan Baked Chicken Legs and Potatoes Recipe. Chicken drumsticks and potatoes with carrots and mushrooms, an easy one-dish meal for busy evenings!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Baked Chicken Legs and Potatoes-
This recipe for baked chicken legs and potatoes is outstanding. Once baked in the marinade and seasoning, the chicken drumsticks are so juicy, crispy and flavorful. The added potatoes with carrots and mushrooms are great and no other side is needed. Winner!
How Long to Bake Chicken Legs-
The length of time to bake will depend on the temperature of oven and size of the legs. If the legs are not crowded on a baking sheet, the baking time at 400°F will be about 35-45 minutes.
In this recipe, the legs are crowded and baked with potatoes and will require a little more time to cook, about 50-60 minutes.
Tips How to Make Chicken & Potatoes in the Oven:
- Your oven and the size of the chicken drumsticks being used along with potato sizes will alter the cooking time of the dish.
- Start checking for readiness at 45 minutes into baking. Continue baking, as needed until chicken is completely cooked and potatoes are easily pierced with a knife.
- Before serving, pour the juices from the bottom of pan over everything (or simply gently toss).
- If you have time to season the chicken a few hours in advance (or in the morning), it will give the seasoning enough time to penetrate deeper into the chicken and will taste even better.
- Combine the ingredients for the seasoning and very lightly season the chicken in a plastic bag and keep it refrigerated. Then continue with the recipe per instructions.
- Enjoy the meal with your favorite dip: ketchup, Sriracha or barbecue sauce.
Can I substitute for a different piece of chicken?
Yes, you can substitute the chicken drumsticks for a different cut of chicken.
- Instead of the chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs may be used. If using boneless/skinless thighs, the cooking time will be less than the drumsticks (check the readiness of chicken with a cooking thermometer, it should read 165°F).
- If you will be substituting with bone in/skin on thighs, the cooking time will depend on the size of the chicken pieces.
Chicken and vegetables are a great combination for dinner. So when you combine chicken legs with potatoes, carrots and mushrooms all in one pan, with a 5-minute prep time, the recipe is a keeper!
Try these other one pan meals:
- Salmon Shrimp and Asparagus– The salmon is so juicy.
- One Pan Potato and Vegetables– The zucchini completes the dish.
- Baked Chicken Fajita- If you like baked dinners, this chicken fajita will win you over.
One Pan Baked Chicken Legs and Potatoes
- 2 lbs potatoes, quartered
- 8 oz white mushrooms, whole
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup baby carrots
- In a small bowl, combine mayo, butter, oil, herbs and garlic.
- In a separate small bowl, combine salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika.
- Cut the potatoes into even sizes so they cook thoroughly, about 1" in thickness. Rinse potatoes and pat dry.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, potatoes and carrots to a baking casserole dish.
- Pour the mayo mixture over the ingredients, mix and coat evenly. Season with half of the seasoning prepared. Mix. Season with remaining seasoning and toss again.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 400°F, uncovered (50-60 minutes, longer if necessary). If the chicken drumsticks are ready but don’t have a crispy coat, broil for 5 minutes.
- Take the juices from the bottom of the dish and pour over all of the ingredients. Enjoy!