Recipe for an easy baked Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole. Chicken, corn, and broccoli smothered in a cheesy and creamy rice mixture.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
chicken broccoli rice casserole-
I really enjoy casseroles, I should have a casseroles category by itself we have so many recipes!. Casseroles are usually pretty easy and quick in prep time. Then, all you do in place it in your oven to bake and you have yourself dinner – without all the extra dishes. Comfort food defined!
Though I really enjoy just the classic chicken rice casserole with broccoli. This recipe is like a deluxe version of a traditional rice casserole.
The added corn with red pepper and cheese give the rice casserole so much added flavors and unexpected taste!
Can I substitute the ingredients in this Chicken Rice Casserole?
I love the added corn, red peppers and loads of cheese in the casserole. If you don’t like any of those, you can skip them completely. Just double the broccoli or add more chicken instead.
tips on how to make chicken rice recipe-
Slightly undercooking the rice by about 5 minutes will allow the rice to finish cooking while baking with the rest of the ingredients.
You can use cheese of your choice. Mozzarella cheese, four cheese, Colby Jack or Mexican cheese may be used in this casserole.
CHEESE TIP: Cheese always performs better in recipes if purchased as a block and shredded freshly than pre-shredded cheese. Fewer additives for freshness are added.
What kind of chicken should I use?
For this cheesy chicken rice casserole, you can use either chicken breast or chicken thighs, both will perform well!
What type of rice should I use for the creamy rice casserole?
The best rice to use in this chicken rice casserole would be a long grain white rice. It performs wonderfully in casseroles with other ingredients. It stays separate and isn’t mushy yet is fluffy and flavorful.
can I prepare the chicken rice recipe in advance?
Yes! Prepare everything up to a day in advance!
Keep the casserole covered and refrigerated. Since the ingredients will be refrigerated and cold. Baking time may take 10-15 minutes longer.
Can I reheat the rice casserole?
This recipe is great to enjoy the following day! Cover baking dish with foil and reheat until warm. Serve with your favorite bread!
Can I freeze the chicken broccoli rice casserole?
Yes! This rice casserole is great to freeze! Prepare according to instructions, DON’T BAKE!
You can either freeze the casserole in aluminum tins like THESE or in a casserole dish. Be sure to cover the dish securely before placing in the freezer. Thaw completely before baking. Enjoy!
This would be a great recipe to freeze and take to friends or family in need or as a blessing! 🙂
You can find this recipe on CENTSLESS MEALS where I am a contributor. 🙂
TRY THESE OTHER RECIPES:
- CREAMY CHICKEN CASSEROLE– The most popular recipe on our blog for weeks.
- CHICKEN THIGHS POTATO CASSEROLE– Perfect one pan dish with so many flavors!
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs, boneless skinless
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 10 oz cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, cubed
- 1/3 cup red pepper, cubed
- 8 oz cheese, grated
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tsp table salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 Tbsp breadcrumbs, or crushed crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook rice according to package instructions, cooking 5 minutes less than the specified time on package.
- Cut chicken thighs or breasts into bite-sized pieces. Sauté chicken pieces with cubed onion and butter until chicken is fully cooked, stirring as needed. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine cream sour cream, chicken soup, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Mix.
- Add the cooked rice, chicken pieces, soup mixture, broccoli florets, tomatoes, red pepper and 1/3 of the grated cheese to a 9”x13” casserole dish. Mix well to combine. Add remaining cheese over top of casserole. Sprinkle bread crumbs over cheese (or crushed crackers).
- Cover casserole dish with foil, bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, bake another 15-20 minutes until ingredients bubble and cheese melts and is golden in color. Enjoy!