This homemade Banana Nut Bread Recipe is so easy to make and a great way to use up overripe bananas. The banana bread using buttermilk is so moist, flavorful and loaded with walnuts and dried fruit. With step-by-step photo instructions, it’s a foolproof recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This soft banana bread recipe truly is the BEST recipe. It uses most ingredients that are already in your pantry and refrigerator. The sweet bread loaf with buttermilk is loaded with bananas and combined with nuts and your favorite dried fruit. This is the perfect recipe for baking during cooler weather.
How to make the BEST Banana Nut Bread Recipe-
- Line bread pan with parchment paper and grease with baking spray.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Mash bananas. TIP: I don’t mash them to a puree because we like little chunks of bananas here and there. Mash bananas to desired personal consistency.
What kind of nuts do I add to Banana Bread-
Add walnuts or pecans to the bread if desired. TIP: The nuts may be left out completely if you don’t like nuts.
What dried fruit do you add to Banana Bread-
Add raisins, craisins, cherries or any other dried fruit to the bread. Chop fruit into smaller pieces, if desired.
Can I substitute the buttermilk?
- TIP: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can substitute buttermilk by combining 1/4 cup sour cream with 1 tsp vinegar.
How long does Banana Nut Bread stay Fresh?
This banana bread will stay fresh up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature and up to 5 days if refrigerated.
Can I freeze Banana Bread?
Yes, you can freeze banana bread. Once baked, cook the bread completely. Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze bread. The bread will stay fresh 2-3 months in the freezer.
To enjoy, thaw bread in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Reheat bread in the oven or microwave if warm bread is desired.
Other great BREAD recipes to try:
- Best Lemon Blueberry Cake Loaf– Cake loaf with blueberries and a hint of lemon!
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread– Banana bread with chocolate and raspberries.
- The Best Cranberry Orange Bread– A citrus cake loaf with cranberries.
Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried fruit
- 1 tsp powdered sugar, optional
- 1/4 cup chocolate, melted, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9"x5" inch bread pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed, beat sugar and eggs until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- With a fork, mash the bananas. Add bananas, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla to sugar/egg bowl. Give it a quick mix.
- Add flour mixture and mix.
- Fold in nuts and dried fruit.
- Pour mixture into bread pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 30 minutes. Turn heat down to 325°F and bake another 25-30 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven. Cool about 10 minutes and remove from pan. Allow the loaf to cool completely.
- If desired, dust bread loaf with powdered sugar and drizzle melted chocolate, optional.
- ENJOY, friends.