This recipe for Blackberry Pie is absolutely the best! Buttery and flakey homemade pie crust filled with juicy and flavor-packed blackberry pie filling is such a treat.
This is the perfect dessert to enjoy in the summertime with vanilla ice cream.
You cannot go wrong with pies in the summertime! Whether enjoying a baked pie like our Peach Pie or a cream pie like our Strawberry Pie, there is no going wrong with a good homemade pie.
BLACKBERRY PIE RECIPE-
The combination of flavors in this recipe is truly phenomenal. The crispy, buttery, and flakey pie crust paired with the juicy blackberry filling comes together so well. The pie is especially great during blackberry season!
All you need for this pie recipe is just a few ingredients and you got yourself the best pie recipe.
- Pie Crust – For the pie crust we use our Homemade Pie Dough!
- Blackberries – You want to be sure to use fresh blackberries for this pie.
- Sugar – We use granulated sugar to sweeten the blackberry pie filling.
- Lemon & Zest – Lemon juice and lemon zest are what you need for the filling.
- Cinnamon – Adding ground cinnamon gives you extra flavor.
- Cornstarch – This is the thickening agent for the filling.
- Egg Wash – For the egg wash we just use an egg and water, this will give you a shiny and golden crust.
- Coarse Sugar – We love adding coarse sugar over the pie after egg washing it for an appeal! You can omit this step.
Blackberry Pie Variations: To spice up this blackberry pie, add only half the amount of blackberries, and the other half substitute with another fruit for a multi-flavored pie. We love adding peaches, raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries!
HOW TO MAKE BLACKBERRY PIE-
The best thing about this pie is how simple it is to make!
- Pie Crust– Make one portion of our homemade pie crust recipe.
- Blackberry Pie Filling– In a large bowl, add the blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, and cornstarch.
- Assemble Pie– Roll out the pie dough into a 12” disc and wrap the dough around the rolling pin and unroll over a 9” pie dish. Press the pie dough down into the pie pan.
- Add Filling– Add the filling to the pie dish.
- Lattice– Roll out the second pie disc and cut it into strips and form a lattice top, or your favorite design.
- Egg Wash– Pinch to seal the edges and brush the egg wash all over the crust. Top with coarse sugar.
- Cool Pie– Bake the pie until golden and fully cooked.
- Cool– Cool the pie for at least 15 minutes and then serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Chef’s Tip: Learn how to make the perfect lattice with tips and troubleshooting in THIS post!
STORING BLACKBERRY PIE-
- Fridge– You can store the baked pie at room temp for up to 3-4 days or in the fridge for up to a week!
- Freezing Baked Pie– Once baked and cooled, cover the pie and freeze the pie covering it well to avoid freezer burn and freeze for up to 3 months!
- Freezing Unbaked Pie– Cover pie tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake per instructions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes! You can make the pie ahead of time and then just reheat it right before serving.
Add the blackberry pie to a preheated oven to 350°F. Reheat covered with foil and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the pie is warmed.
The cornstarch is the thickening agent for the filling, adding more cornstarch will give you a thicker filling.
We do not recommend using frozen berries.
Yes, store-bought pie crust will work great in this recipe.
More Desserts with Fruit-
- Sweet Cherry Vareniki
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Fresh Fruit Salad
- Creamy Layered Jello
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Fruit Platter
Blackberry Pie Recipe
blackberry pie filling-
- 1 ½ lbs fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- 1 Tbsp coarse sugar
- Make 1 recipe of homemade pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- With a rolling pin, roll out one of the disks into a 12" round circle. Transfer to a 9" pie dish and pat down, allowing the extra dough to hang over the dish.
- In a bowl, combine the blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, zest, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Add the filling into the pie dish with all the juice.
- Top with the second pie disc with the desired method, lattice or classic style.
- Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Cover pie with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the pie crust is golden or crispy.
- Remove the blackberry pie from the oven and let it cool for at least 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!