Buttered Cod in Skillet (VIDEO)

A simple and quick recipe for Buttered Cod in Skillet. Seasoned cod fillets in butter, herbs and lemon. The amazing recipe is ready from start to finish in under 10 minutes, perfect for a lazy dinner. Enjoy the fish with a side of mashed potatoes.

Cod in a Wine Sauce is another easy way to prepare cod.

Buttered Cod in Skillet topped with herbs and lemon slices.

Cod Recipe-

This truly is the best recipe for cod. The fish become so flavorful, flakey and melts in your mouth tender. The butter penetrates into the cod and combined with the seasonings, lemon and herbs is a phenomenal recipe.

How to Cook Cod-

This is the easiest recipe for cod fillets in a skillet you will find. You are going to love the recipe and prepare it over and over again. Even your picky eaters will approve and ask for seconds.

• Prepare seasonings for the cod. Combine the ground paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder. TIP: If you like spicy food, add ground cayenne pepper or chili, to taste.

Seasonings in a bowl for cod fillets.

• Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add cod to the melted butter in skillet. Cook 2 minutes.
  • Turn heat down to medium. Turn cod over, top with remaining butter and cook another 3-4 minutes.
  • Drizzle lemon juice over cod and top with fresh cilantro or parsley.
  • NOTE: Butter will completely melt and fish will cook through. Don’t overcook, it will become mushy and completely fall apart.

Cod seasoned and topped with butter in a skillet.

What kind of Cod do I use for Buttered Cod in Skillet?

You can use any cod fillet. An Alaskan or wild caught cod will perform best in this recipe, however, your favorite cod fish will work.

How long do you cook Cod Fish?

The thickness of the cod fillet will impact the cooking time of the fish. A thicker and larger fillet will require a few more minutes of cooking time. A thinner fillet will cook quicker.

Can I use frozen Cod?

Yes, store bought frozen cod will work. Just be sure to completely thaw the cod fillets before cooking. Thaw the cod in the refrigerator.

Buttered cod in a skillet with herbs.

I hope you this seasoned Cod in creamy butter, herbs and lemon. Such a simple dinner with wonderful results. WOW your guests and family alike.

Try these other FISH recipes:

Buttered Cod in Skillet. Ready in under 15 minutes and soo good!. ValentinasCorner.com
Print Recipe
4.97 from 30 votes

Buttered Cod in Skillet

Amazing, quick and easy recipe for buttered cod in skillet. Ready in 10 minutes, this fish recipe has a wow factor. The seasoned cod cooked in butter and topped with herbs and lemon juice is amazing.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Course: Dinner
Cuisine: American
Keyword: buttered cod, cod recipe
Servings: 4 servings

• ¼ tsp ground pepper
  • ¾ tsp ground paprika
  • Few lemon slices
  • Herbs, parsley or cilantro

Instructions

How to Make Buttered Cod in Skillet-

• Stir together ingredients for seasoning in a small bowl.
  • Cut cod into smaller pieces, if desired. Season all sides of the cod with the seasoning.
  • Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once butter melts, add cod to skillet. Cook 2 minutes.
  • Butter will completely melt and the fish will cook. (Don’t overcook the cod, it will become mushy and completely fall apart.)
  • Drizzle cod with fresh lemon juice. Top with fresh herbs, if desired. Serve immediately.
  • Enjoy, friends.
Potassium 712mg20%
Protein 30g60%
Vitamin A 815IU16%
Vitamin C 1.7mg2%
Calcium 32mg3%
Iron 0.7mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Valentina's Corner

Show 168 Comments
  • Stacie 08/12/2018, 11:07 pm Link Reply

My husband and I both really enjoyed this recipe. Quick, easy and delicious

• Valentina's Corner 08/13/2018, 9:02 am Link Reply

Thanks so so much, Stacie! 🙂 So glad you enjoy the recipe.

• Vicki V 07/29/2018, 7:24 pm Link Reply

So easy and tasty! Just what we needed on this hot summer evening. I was concerned that my cod filets would take longer because they were about an inch thick, but they turned out perfectly! Thank you!

• admin 07/30/2018, 10:51 am Link Reply

That’s wonderful, Vicki. Thanks for sharing!
      Thanks for visiting our online home.

• Kurt Shimada 07/24/2018, 5:45 pm Link Reply

This was awesome! I cooked it till it was carmelized. Oh my goodness! Thanks for the recipe!

• admin 07/24/2018, 6:42 pm Link Reply

Thanks so much, Kurt. So wonderful to hear. 🙂 🙂

• Maty 07/18/2018, 7:07 pm Link Reply

My pieces of cod was still frozen and it turned out great!!! I will be using your recipe again. Maybe with scallops? Thank you for sharing. I’ll keep you posted.

• admin 07/19/2018, 10:22 am Link Reply

Thanks for the wonderful feedback, Maty! I so appreciate you trying our recipe. 🙂 🙂

• Kathy 07/04/2018, 10:03 am Link Reply

Can you use any kind of fish in this recipe?

• admin 07/05/2018, 11:04 am Link Reply

I’ve not tested any other fish but flounder would be a great substitute, cook time will depend on the thickness of the fish.
      Enjoy, Kathy!

• Jane 06/21/2018, 6:31 pm Link Reply

This recipe is a total winner ? I chopped fresh parsley from my herb garden and put on the fish ? after I turned. Cooking instructions were great. The texture and taste was so delicious ? 5*****

• admin 06/22/2018, 6:17 pm Link Reply

That’s just wonderful to hear, Jane. I bet the fresh herbs were a wonderful touch.

• Alex 06/03/2018, 3:35 am Link Reply

So… I have a random question! I tried your recipe and really loved it. I told my parents that I want to make it for them while we’re away during a trip this summer but my dad says he’s allergic to cilantro! This is the first time I’m hearing this but apparently, 2% of the world’s population is very allergic to cilantro/ coriander and about 15% of people *claim* to be allergic but just hate the taste becuase it literally tastes like soap to them. Either way, I feel like the cilantro is really important to the taste of this recipe but I’m trying to come up with a substitute because my dad won’t eat anything with cilantro. So far, on other sites, I’ve read that culantro is a good substitute for cilantro. They have similar taste but culantro is much harder to find than cilantro. The next option is depending on the recipe, you can substitute cilantro with basil or oregano. I don’t know which one to use though!! Can anyone give me any advice! Has anyone used different spices that they enjoyed in this recipe?! Or anyone in a similar situation (ie: not liking or being allergic to cilantro) and kind of fighting it out now. Thanks in advance!

• Alex 06/04/2018, 1:04 am Link Reply

Quick update! Parsley and dill as a substitute for parsley and cilantro was not a very good replacement. Maybe just parsley or parsley and mint?

• admin 06/04/2018, 3:31 pm Link

I replied to your other comment, Alex. 🙂 Thanks so much for trying our recipe.

• admin 06/04/2018, 3:28 pm Link Reply

What a blessing you are to your parents. They should be really proud of you! Yes, I actually have a friend who cannot tolerate cilantro.
      Parsley will work just fine. You can also do basil with some cherry tomatoes. That would be great. I do that often.

• Pam 06/20/2018, 7:45 pm Link Reply

As far as I know, Alex, culantro is the Spanish spelling of cilantro. I won’t track down citations for the science, but apparently there is a gene involved in the taste perception of the plant. It does indeed taste like soap to many people. You just can’t change somebody’s mind about that. The flavor notes that cilantro hits for the rest of us are maybe generally herbal and citrusy. I’m not sure there is a great equivalent for doing the job cilantro does for us who love it.
      “Allergy” may be over used but I don’t want a guest going anaphylactic at my party. In any case, if you are hosting a small group and know that someone has the “soap gene”, I’d recommend skipping the cilantro.

• Jabber 05/29/2018, 8:10 pm Link Reply

Outstanding! It’s hard to find affordable ‘wild’ fish versus farmed and I am trying to increase our families’ fish intake. They don’t typically like fish in any form. I found wild cod at Costco at a very reasonable price, chose this recipe, followed it exactly and ding ding ding…winner. Everyone turned up their noses when they heard fish, but it got gobbled up and I was given the green light to make it again. Served it with baked sweet potatoes, glazed garlicky green beans and carrots.

• admin 05/29/2018, 11:42 pm Link Reply

Jabber, thanks so much for the wonderful feedback. Just makes my heart sing. I loved the baked potato with beans and carrots, yumm! Thanks so much for sharing, stop by and visit again. 🙂

• Lori Snow 05/26/2018, 12:02 am Link Reply

OMG! This recipe more than delivered on many levels! First – it was grocery bag to table in less than 20 minutes. 2nd – All ingredients were in the cupboard (used parsley flakes). 3rd – the taste is divine! So rich – like scampi. Served with Green Giant creamed spinach – heaven.

• admin 05/27/2018, 6:25 pm Link Reply

Thanks for the wonderful feedback, Lori! So glad to hear that :). I love the added spinach, yumm. Stop back and visit our online home again.

• Linda Davis 05/24/2018, 9:55 pm Link Reply

I’ve never cooked Cod before so I bought fresh Cod at the store yesterday. I ran across this recipe, it looked easy & good, plus I had most of the ingredients to make it. OH MY GOSH! This is truly delicious! I’ll be making it again!!

• admin 05/25/2018, 11:52 am Link Reply

Thanks so much, Linda. Makes me smile from ear to ear to hear that. Stop by and visit our online home again.

• Kelli 05/07/2018, 6:03 pm Link Reply

This recipe was amazing. I baked the cod at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes using your spices plus I added garlic and lemon juice. I used garliclemon salt and baked it in a convection oven. My son loved it. I served it with seafood salad and broccoli. Definitely will use this recipe again. Thank you for sharing

• admin 05/08/2018, 5:23 pm Link Reply

That sounds wonderful, Kelli. I am so glad your son loved it, that makes me smile – real big! 🙂 Love hearing that you were able to bake the cod, that’s awesome.

• Jodie Ann 05/06/2018, 6:45 pm Link Reply

This is my “go-to” recipe for quick and always delicious cod. Foolproof and perfect as written. If you want fantastic fish, don’t change a thing. I have an 8 year old daughter who is autistic and has aversions to almost any kind of food….she gobbles this down! So simple and easy….

• admin 05/07/2018, 12:08 am Link Reply

This the best kind of comment, Jodie! The kind of comments that inspire me to do what I do and love it! 🙂 Blessings to you and your family.

• Vanessa 05/05/2018, 6:26 pm Link Reply

I tried this a year or two ago pan-frying it, and I don’t know if it was my technique or the fact that I used frozen fish, but the texture was not great. It was definitely an issue on my end and had nothing to do with your recipe.

This time, I baked the cod at 375 for about 15-20 minutes using your spices. My husband said it was the best fish I had ever made. It was great with cauliflower rice, too!

• admin 05/07/2018, 2:03 pm Link Reply

I love that you had it over cauliflower rice. That’s genius. Thanks for the idea. 🙂 Stop by and visit again, Vanessa. =)

• Mz. B 05/02/2018, 9:30 pm Link Reply

I tried this quick easy recipe tonight for dinner & was thoroughly pleased. Would like to cut down on the butter. I didn’t have unsalted used regular margarine.

• admin 05/03/2018, 12:47 am Link Reply

Thanks for trying our recipe, Mz. B. Unsalted butter is key in this recipe. Stop by and visit our online home again. 🙂

• Donna 04/30/2018, 7:00 pm Link Reply

1st time making this. What a hit! And so easy! I added Rosemary to the spices. Thanks!

• admin 05/01/2018, 11:33 am Link Reply

Oh I love the added rosemary, Donna. Mmmm, the aroma! Thanks for visiting our online home, do stop back.

• Michael 04/08/2018, 8:47 pm Link Reply

Started Keto today with my wife. I made this tonite, and it was very good. I like to use a lot of spices, which my wife doesnt like. The spice was just right…

• admin 04/09/2018, 11:37 pm Link Reply

That’s wonderful, Michael. Thanks for visiting and trying our recipe:). This is the perfect recipe for a Keto diet.

• Krista S 04/07/2018, 9:36 pm Link Reply

Made this tonight and it was a huge hit! So tender and full of flavor! My boys and I basically inhaled it. So easy too!

• admin 04/08/2018, 12:35 am Link Reply

That’s wonderful, Krista. Thanks for sharing that with us. I agree, so so easy and so good. Keeper!
      Thanks for visiting and trying our recipe, we appreciate you.

• Christopher 03/27/2018, 6:00 pm Link Reply

The butter is the healthiest part. Fat = energy. Fat doesn’t make you fat. #KETO

• admin 03/28/2018, 12:43 am Link Reply

I like the way you think, Christopher. This KETO diet is sounding more and more wonderful. 🙂

• Irene 04/10/2018, 6:47 pm Link

Will make it tonight ! I love Keto ! (and butter) 🙂

• admin 04/11/2018, 1:51 pm Link

I hope you enjoyed the recipe, Irene. <3

• Melissa Lewis 02/15/2018, 4:48 pm Link Reply

Do you have the nitritional value for this recipe carbs,protein etc

• admin 02/15/2018, 5:40 pm Link Reply

We do not have nutritional value at this time, I’m sorry. However, there are many wonderful online sites that you can plug the ingredients into and they will calculate it for you. Thank you.

• Heather M. Whipple 02/14/2018, 4:02 pm Link Reply

I want to use fresh garlic for this.
    would the same 1/4 teaspoon measurement apply? Please let me know.

• admin 02/15/2018, 12:33 am Link Reply

Hello Heather, you can substitute it for 1 minced garlic clove. Hope you love the recipe.