Crispy meringue shells filled with dulce de leche then topped with a light whipped cream and fresh berries. These Mini Boccone Dolce desserts are perfect for parties and the Holidays.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
mini boccone dolce desserts-
Crispy and crunchy meringue shells filled with (caramel) dulce de leche and topped with a delicate whipped cream and fresh berries. These mini desserts are so gorgeous when served and loved by all!
Though Boccone Dolce is similar to a Pavlova, they differ by having cream of tarter used as a stabilizer instead of cornstarch.
how to make mini boccone dolce meringues-
These mini individual-sized desserts are SO easy to make. Be sure to read the entire post before starting so you know exactly what you are doing.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (this is a must).
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Add the egg whites, cream of tartar and pinch of salt to a mixing bowl.
- Start beating on low speed, then go to middle and finally high speed.
- Once the mixture is glossy, continue beating and slowly add the sugar. Beat until mixture is thick and stiff peaks form.
- Pipe meringues onto the prepared baking with a start tip and create wells in the center.
- Place the baking sheet to the center of the oven and bake 2 hours.
- Turn off heat and stick a wooden spatula in the door. Allow the meringue shells to cool completely before removing them from the oven.
- Transfer cooled meringues a container and keep covered with plastic wrap until ready to use.
how to fill meringues-
You can use your favorite topping for the meringues. We used dulce de leche, whipped cream frosting, chocolate and fresh berries.
prepare the whipped cream frosting-
Over high speed, beat the heavy whipping cream with sugar until still peaks form, refrigerate until ready to use.
assemble mini meringue desserts-
- Melt chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Spoon about 1 tsp of the dulce de leche into the well of each meringue.
- Take cooled chocolate, add to plastic zip top bag and snip the corner of bag. Drizzle chocolate over meringues and dulce de leche.
- Pipe the whipped cream over dulce de leche and tops of the meringue shells.
- Top with desired berries and refrigerate until ready to enjoy.
TIPS when making meringue Boccone Dolce-
- Start mixing at low speed, then slowly mix at medium speed, and finally high speed.
- You can bake the shells up to 3 days in advance.
- Once the shells are baked and cooled, store in an airtight container, or covered with plastic wrap, or in a gallon freezer bag.
- Assemble the desserts no earlier than 2 hours before serving and keep refrigerated once assembled.
- Don’t open the oven door to check on the meringues. They are doing wonderful, I promise.
- Pipe the meringue desserts with a star tip or you can just use a spoon to add some mixture to a baking sheet. With a spoon (we like to use the back of a 1 teaspoon measuring spoon), create a well in the center of the meringues.
- The meringues may be baked up for 3 days in advance. Once baked and cooled, be sure to keep covered.
Though we used strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to top the mini desserts, you can substitute with your favorite berries of choice. The berries complement the crispy meringue desserts and whipped cream so well.
other desserts that are great for the holidays-
- Homemade Cream Puffs– with a dulce de leche filling.
- Russian Chocolate Spartak– the best-layered dessert.
- Puff Pastry Tart– so easy for the Holidays.
Mini Boccone Dolce
- 4 egg whites, room temp
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chip morsels, melted and cooled
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt on low speed, then turn speed to medium and finally high speed until peaks begin to form. Slowly add the sugar and keep mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Add the mixture into a piping bag with a star tip. Pipe meringue circles that are about an inch tall.
- With a measuring teaspoon, create a well in the center of each meringue cookie.
- Bake at 200°F for 2 hours, until the meringues are completely dry and hard to the touch.
- Place a wooden spoon in the oven door and allow meringues to cool.
- Melt chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Add about a teaspoon of dulce de leche in the center of each meringue cookie.
- Place the cooled chocolate into a plastic bag and cut the tip of corner, drizzle over the meringues.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream and sugar on high heat until doubled in size.
- Add the whipped cream into a piping bag with desired tip and pipe whipped cream over dulce de leche and meringues.
- Top with desired berries.