These Pumpkin Spice Cream Puffs are the perfect fall dessert. Easy classic cream puff (choux pastry) recipe with a sweet unique pumpkin spice filling. Once you try these cream puffs, you won’t want to use any other recipe. They are easy to make and turn out perfect every time.
Enjoy this video recipe tutorial for Cream Puffs. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel. ?
WHAT ARE CREAM PUFFS?
Cream puffs are a French dessert. The puffs (choux pastry dough) are piped with a sweet filling. You can pipe the filling with a pastry bag and tip from the bottom of the pastry or, slice the desserts in half and generously fill the pastry and close with the top puff.
This classic recipe for the puffs is so easy to make and there’s not really much that can go wrong. Though I prefer a classic filling of whipped cream, this fall-inspired pumpkin filling is wonderful, especially around pumpkin season.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM PUFFS-
- In a saucepan, bring water and butter to a soft boil.
- Turn off the heat. Combine the sugar, salt, and flour. Add to the water and butter and stir vigorously until well combined.
- Remove from heat, transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Allow to slightly cool, but still be warm. Beat in one egg at a time, beating after each egg until it’s well incorporated.
Note: If the mixture is still hot, the mixture will become too runny and will not pipe. The mixture shouldn’t be too runny and not too thick and feel elastic, easy to pipe.
HOW TO PIPE AND BAKE PUFFS-
- Fill a piping bag with some of the cream puff mixtures and pipe small puffs (a little bigger than a regular teaspoon but round). They will get bigger when baking. You can also make them larger than the indicated size and just bake them a few minutes extra.
TIP: Keep an eye on the cream puffs towards the end of the baking. Each oven is different and baking time will slightly vary. The puffs should be golden in color on the outside. If underbaked, they will flatten and not taste very flattering.)
PREPARE PUMPKIN SPICE FILLING-
- Over medium speed, beat cream cheese until creamy. Add butter, powdered sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice and beat again. Fold in the cool whip with a spatula, careful not to overbeat the mixture. Refrigerate the cream until ready to use, it will harden and be easier to pipe.
TIP: Cream puffs can either be cut in half and filled with a spoon or with a piping tip. Fill a piping bag with the frosting and gently insert the tip into the bottom of eclairs and fill.
Dust puffs with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
try these other fall pumpkin desserts:
- Pumpkin Phyllo Turnovers– a delicious puff pastry dessert.
- Bundt Cake– moist and soft bundt cake with pumpkin, chocolate chips, and cream cheese.
- Pumpkin Bread– a delicious bread loaf loaded with pumpkin.
- Pumpkin French Toast– the ultimate breakfast.
Pumpkin Spice Cream Puffs
- In a saucepan, over med/high heat, add water and butter and cook until mixture comes to a soft boil and bubbles everywhere.
- Remove from heat and add the combined sugar, salt, and flour at once and stir quickly until everything is incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and start beating mixture. Beat in one egg at a time, continue to beat after each addition.
- Fill a piping bag with some cream puff mixture and pipe small cream puffs (a little bigger than a regular teaspoon but round). Once piped, flatted the top of the dough a bit.
- Bake 10 minutes. Turn heat down to 365°F and bake another 20 minutes.
- Prepare the filling. Over medium speed, beat cream cheese until creamy. Add butter, powdered sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice and mix. Add cool whip and mix in with a spatula. Refrigerate cream until ready to use.
- Pipe cream into the bottom of the puffs or slice puffs in half and add cream and close, like a sandwich.
- Dust cream puffs with powdered sugar. Enjoy.
The original recipe was posted November, 2015. We are updating the photos and adding a video in October, 2019.