Creamy Chicken Potato Tortellini Soup recipe. This soup loaded with chicken, potatoes and mushrooms in a creamy broth is comfort food at its greatest. Enjoy the creamy soup with our Russian Bread.
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup-
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, bring water and broth to a boil. Add diced potatoes.
- In a skillet, saute chicken. Add to Dutch oven.
- Saute onions and carrots with garlic. Add to Dutch oven.
- Saute mushrooms. Add to Dutch oven.
- Whisk together heavy whipping cream and flour. Add to Dutch oven.
- Add cheese tortellini.
- Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook on medium heat for 4 minutes (or until tortellini are cooked), stirring as needed.
This Tortellini Soup is so delicious and bursting with flavor. Chicken and potatoes with carrots and mushrooms in a creamy soup base with cheese tortellini. The perfect combination of flavor and taste.
NOTE: Yukon Gold, Idaho or Russet potatoes may be used in the tortellini soup.
TIP: Be sure to slice the carrot thin and cut in half or else the onions will brown and cook quicker than the carrots
Can I Substitute Heavy Whipping Cream?
Though the heavy whipping cream gives the soup creaminess, if you are looking for a lighter soup, substitute the cream for half and half.
I hope you loved Creamy Soup. If you try the recipe, don’t forget to leave us feedback in the comments below.
Try these other great soup recipes:
- Beef Cabbage Soup– If you like cabbage in soups, this one’s a keeper.
- Pasta Fagioli Recipe– CopyCat Olive Garden recipe but so much better.
- Zuppa Toscana Soup– So creamy and rich.
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 3 cups water
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1/2 lb chicken thighs, small bite-sized pieces
- 6 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp Canola oil (or Olive oil)
- 8 oz cheese tortellini
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ tsp table salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, optional
- In a Dutch oven (or pot) add water and chicken broth, bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes to the pot and cook 10 minutes, over medium heat. Potatoes should be tender but not fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter.
- Add chicken and saute 2-3 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, add to the potatoes in Dutch oven.
- In the same skillet, add mushrooms and 1 tsp oil. Saute mushrooms until browned, lightly season with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms to Dutch oven.
- In the same skillet, add carrots and onions and 1 Tbsp butter. Saute over medium heat until carrots are tender, stirring as needed. Add minced garlic and stir. Transfer everything to a Dutch oven.
- Add cheese tortellini to Dutch oven and stir.
- Whisk together flour and heavy whipping cream. Add to soup.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Add additional seasonings, if needed.
- Cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes, until tortellini are cooked.
- Add parsley, optional.
- Serve immediately. ENJOY!