Creamy Chicken Potato Tortellini Soup recipe. This creamy tortellini soup loaded with chicken, potatoes and mushrooms in a creamy broth is comfort food at its greatest. Enjoy the creamy tortellini soup with our Russian Bread.
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup-
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, bring water and broth to a boil. Add diced potatoes.
- In a skillet, saute chicken. Add to Dutch oven.
- Saute onions and carrots with garlic. Add to Dutch oven.
- Saute mushrooms. Add to Dutch oven.
- Whisk together heavy whipping cream and flour. Add to Dutch oven.
- Add cheese tortellini.
- Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook on medium heat for 4 minutes (or until tortellini are cooked), stirring as needed.
This Tortellini Soup is so delicious and bursting with flavor. Chicken and potatoes with carrots and mushrooms in a creamy soup base with cheese tortellini. The perfect combination of flavor and taste.
NOTE: Yukon Gold, Idaho or Russet potatoes may be used in the tortellini soup.
TIP: Be sure to slice the carrot thin and cut in half or else the onions will brown and cook quicker than the carrots
Can I Substitute Heavy Whipping Cream?
Though the heavy whipping cream gives the soup creaminess, if you are looking for a lighter soup, substitute the cream for half and half.
I hope you loved Creamy Tortellini Soup. If you try the recipe, don’t forget to leave us feedback in the comments below.
Try these other great soup recipes:
- Beef Cabbage Soup– If you like cabbage in soups, this one’s a keeper.
- Pasta Fagioli Recipe– CopyCat Olive Garden recipe but so much better.
- Zuppa Toscana Soup– So creamy and rich.
Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe. Cheese Tortellini soup loaded with potatoes, mushrooms, chicken and vegetables. A hearty soup for cooler weather.
- 3 cups water
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1/2 lb chicken thighs, small bite-sized pieces
- 6 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp Canola oil (or Olive oil)
- 8 oz cheese tortellini
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ tsp table salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, optional
In a Dutch oven (or pot) add water and chicken broth, bring to a boil.
Add potatoes to the pot and cook 10 minutes, over medium heat. Potatoes should be tender but not fully cooked.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter.
Add chicken and saute 2-3 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, add to the potatoes in Dutch oven.
In the same skillet, add mushrooms and 1 tsp oil. Saute mushrooms until browned, lightly season with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms to Dutch oven.
In the same skillet, add carrots and onions and 1 Tbsp butter. Saute over medium heat until carrots are tender, stirring as needed. Add minced garlic and stir. Transfer everything to a Dutch oven.
Add cheese tortellini to Dutch oven and stir.
Whisk together flour and heavy whipping cream. Add to soup.
Season soup with salt and pepper. Add additional seasonings, if needed.
Cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes, until tortellini are cooked.
Add parsley, optional.
Serve immediately. ENJOY!