The BEST crispy Baked Chicken Wings recipe. The wings are seasoned in a dry rub and oven-baked until crispy on the outside while juicy and tender on the inside.
CHICKEN WINGS IN OVEN-
These baked chicken wings are healthier than fried wings and make for the perfect appetizer or side dish, especially on big game days like Superbowl.
If you love to order wings at popular restaurants, you are in for a treat. These wings are so crispy on the outside you’d never know they were completely baked in the oven and not deep-fried!
Once you give the recipe a try, you’ll never want to order wings out again.
This recipe is so simple, all you need are some wings and a few staple kitchen seasonings!
- Chicken wings– You can use either fresh chicken wings or frozen wings that are completely thawed. Be sure the wings are uniform in size for even baking.
- Baking powder- The baking powder is the secret and to achieve that crispy exterior!
- Seasonings– For the seasonings, we use salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground paprika, and Italian seasoning! You can use any of your favorite spices for the seasoning blend.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED WINGS-
- Prep baking sheet– Line the bottom of a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for easier cleanup (you’ll thank me later). Place an oven-safe cooling rack inside the baking sheet. This is important to get really crispy wings on all sides.
- Dry chicken wings– Pat chicken completely dry. You can use a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Combine seasoning– In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the seasoning with the baking powder.
- Season chicken– Add the chicken to a bowl and generously coat it with the dry seasoning rub/baking powder.
- Arrange– Layout the chicken onto the prepared baking rack spreading the chicken.
- Bake– Bake wings until crispy to touch, about 45-55 minutes.
HOW LONG DO YOU BAKE CHICKEN WINGS-
The size of the wings will slightly alter the baking time for the wings. Here are some of the most classic temperatures to baked the wings at:
• 400°F– Bake for 55-60 minutes, depending on the size of the wings.
• 425°F– Bake for 45-55 minutes, depending on the size of the wings.
Pro tip: We do not recommend baking wings at a temp lower than 400 degrees as the skin will not be as crispy. Baking the wings over 425 degrees, your wings will become too dry and may remain undercooked inside.
TIPS FOR THE CRISPIEST WINGS-
- Be sure you remove all the moisture from the chicken.
- Make sure your oven is preheated before baking the wings.
- Coat all sides of the wings with the baking powder, not baking soda.
- Use a baking rack so the heat circulates properly and all sides of the wings are crispy.
- Keep wings spread apart, don’t overcrowd the wings.
If you want to add more flavor to the wings, you can coat the wings in some homemade sauces. Here are some of our favorite sauces:
When serving wings as an appetizer or an entree, here are some great ideas for sides:
- Dipping sauce: Ranch salad dressing or Blue Cheese dressing
- Fresh vegetables: carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumbers
- Dip: Serve with dip like our Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Fries: You can throw some fries in the Air Fryer
- Side: We even love child and homemade Guacamole or PicoDeGallo
|Chef’s Tip: You may either dip the wings in the sauce when serving or completely coat the wings in the sauce and bake an additional 1-2 minutes for the sauce to penetrate into the wings.|
Frequently Asked Questions-
No, you don’t need to wash raw wings.
No! Never use frozen wings! Ne sure they are completely thawed before using. Just place your bag of wings in the fridge overnight and they will thaw.
Though you may normally purchase wings at the store that are already separated, you can also purchase whole chicken wings (also called party wings, and divide them yourself.
-Flip the wing so the joints are visible.
-Cut the wingtip (flapper) and remove it (don’t use this part). The tip is great to use for stock.
-Then, cut through the middle joining (the flat) separating the drumette and wingette.
You may just cook the wings on parchment paper. We’d recommend flipping the wings halfway to ensure all sides are crispy.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES:
- Air Fryer Wings
- Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Easy Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Chicken Parmasen Recipe
- Pan Seared Chicken
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken wings, thawed
- Completely pat the chicken wings until dry.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the seasoning.
- Toss the chicken wings with the seasoning.
- Add the chicken wings onto the baking rack.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken wings and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the skin is crispy.