The best crispy baked chicken wings recipe! Chincken wings seasoned in a dry rub and oven-baked until crispy on the outside while juicy and tender on the inside.
The wings are not only great for Super Bowl and as a party food, but just as good to enjoy for a quick dinner!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Easy to make. You only have the chicken prepped and ready to be baked in just 5 minutes.
- Customizable. You can use different seasonings and sauces on the wings to change up the flavors.
- Restaurant quality at home. The wings become so crispy once baked and really do taste like your favorite wing-stop restaurants.
Baked Chicken Wings-
Since these wings are baked, they are much healthier than deep-fried wings without losing the flavor and texture you’d expect in fried wings.
The dry rub and seasoning add so much flavor and the baking powder gifts the wings its crispiness.
This recipe is so simple, all you need are some chicken wings and a few staple kitchen seasonings – so easy. Don’t forget to preheat your oven.
- Prep baking sheet– Line the bottom of a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for easier cleanup (you’ll thank me later). Place an oven-safe cooling rack inside the baking sheet. This is important to get really crispy wings on all sides.
- Chicken wings– You can use either fresh chicken wings or frozen wings that are completely thawed. Be sure the wings are uniform in size for even baking.
- Baking powder- The baking powder is the secret to achieving that crispy exterior – not baking soda!
- Seasonings– For the seasonings, we use salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground paprika, and Italian seasoning! You can use any of your favorite spices for the seasoning blend.
How to make baked chicken wings-
- Dry chicken wings: Pat chicken is completely dry. You can use a kitchen towel or a paper towel.
- Combine seasoning: In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the seasoning and the baking powder.
- Season wings: Add the chicken wings to a bowl and generously coat them with half of the dry seasoning rub/baking powder. Toss and add the remaining rub and toss again.
- Arrange wings: Layout the chicken onto the prepared baking rack.
- Cook wings: Bake the wings until crispy to the touch, about 45-55 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve and Enjoy!
How Long to Bake Chicken Wings-
The size of the wings will slightly alter how long you would bake the wings. Here are some of the most classic temperatures to bake the wings:
- 400°F: Bake for 55-60 minutes, depending on the size of the wings.
- 425°F: Bake for 45-55 minutes, depending on the size of the wings.
|Pro tip: We do not recommend baking wings at a temp lower than 400 degrees as the skin will become crispy. Baking the wings over 430 degrees, your wings will become too dry and undercooked inside.
Expert Tips for the Crispiest Wings
- Dry wings. Be sure you remove all the moisture from the chicken. If the wings are wet, they will not get crispy.
- Hot oven. Make sure your oven is preheated before baking the wings. Don’t add the wings before it’s hot.
- Use baking powder. Make sure you are using baking powder not baking soda. If you accidentally used baking soda, the wings will taste weird.
- Use rack. Use a baking rack so the heat circulates properly and all sides of the wings are crispy, so they get crispy on all sides.
- Don’t overcrowd. Keep wings spread apart, don’t overcrowd the wings.
If you want to add more flavor to the wings, you can coat the wings in some homemade sauces. Here are some of our favorite sauces:
|Pro Tip: You may either dip the wings in the sauce when serving or completely coat the wings in the sauce and bake an additional 1-2 minutes for the sauce to penetrate into the wings.
When serving wings as an appetizer or an entree, here are some great ideas for sides:
- Dipping sauce: Ranch salad dressing or blue cheese dressing.
- Fresh vegetables: carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumbers.
- Dip: Serve with dip like our buffalo Chicken Dip.
- French fries: You can throw some fries in the air fryer.
- Side: We even love homemade guacamole or juicy pico de gallo.
No! Never use frozen wings! Be sure they are completely thawed before using. Just place your bag of wings in the fridge overnight and they will thaw.
No, you don’t need to wash raw chicken wings.
Though you may normally purchase wings at the store that are already separated, you can also purchase whole chicken wings (also called party wings) and divide them yourself.
-Flip the wing so the joints are visible. Cut the wingtip (flapper) and remove it (don’t use this part). The tip is great to use for stock.
-Then, cut through the middle joining (the flat) separating the drumette and wingette.
You may just cook the wings on parchment paper. We’d recommend flipping the wings halfway to ensure all sides are crispy.
More Wings Recipes:
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken wings, thawed
- Completely pat the chicken wings until dry.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the seasoning.
- Toss the chicken wings with the seasoning.
- Add the chicken wings onto the baking rack.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken wings and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the skin is crispy.