This Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is a slow cooker version of our classic Buffalo Dip Recipe! It comes together in one pot for a perfectly spicy and creamy dip! All you have to do is add the ingredients to the pot and stir them together once cooked.
We share so many great dip ideas for your next event or barbecue! Be sure to also try our Rotel Dip with Beef and our favorite Smoked Salmon Dip!
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip-
Buffalo Chicken Dip is traditionally made with shredded chicken, a cayenne-pepper-based hot sauce, and a variety of cheeses to make the sauce creamy. This version is made in a crockpot to simplify your life! The dip is so addictive and is always a crowd favorite. It’ll be the first thing gone from your table and is perfect for game day, parties, family game night, or a potluck!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Requires minimal clean-up, since you can serve the dip from the pot!
- Can be prepped in advance!
- Pairs well with just about any appetizer.
- Easily adjust the spice level to your liking by adding more or less of the hot sauce!
Here is what you’ll need to make the BEST slow cooker chicken dip:
- Chicken- you’ll need to be shredded, cooked chicken for this recipe such as rotisserie chicken or Boiled Chicken Breast. Or, use canned chicken for a quicker prep time.
- Cream cheese- cube the cream cheese so it melts easier in the pot. TIP: Bring the cream cheese to room temperature before using it. It will melt more evenly, and not separate when cooking.
- Frank’s RedHot Sauce- this is what gives the dip the buffalo flavor. We love Frank’s Hot Sauce, but you can use what buffalo sauce or hot sauce you like.
- Ranch- your favorite Ranch will add a layer of flavor to the dish.
- Shredded cheese- buy a block of cheddar cheese and shred it yourself. It will melt and incorporate into the dip more smoothly.
How to Make Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip:
This appetizer couldn’t be easier to make! You’ll love that it requires minimal prep and cleanup.
- Prep chicken: Start by cooking and shredding your chicken. If you’re using canned chicken or rotisserie, shred or break up the chicken before adding it to the crockpot. Tip: Use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment to easily shred chicken!
- Shred cheese: Shred the cheddar cheese and add 1 ½ cups to the crockpot, ensuring it doesn’t touch the sides or bottom of the pot to prevent burning.
- Add sauce and cheese: Add Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, ranch dressing, and cream cheese into the pot.
- Cook: Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or HIGH for 1½ -2 hours, or until the cheese has melted.
- Stir: Stir the mixture well to combine the ingredients.
- Add remaining cheese: Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese over the dip. Allow it to melt for an additional 15-20 minutes. Tip: Serve immediately or turn to warm to keep the dip from continuing to cook.
- Serve and enjoy, friends!
Substitutions and Variations-
You can swap out some ingredients in the buffalo chicken dip in the crockpot based on what you have on hand. Here are some options:
- Cheese: This dip is typically made with cheddar cheese. You can substitute with American, Colby Jack, or mozzarella cheese. Make sure to pick a high-quality block of cheese and grate it yourself so it will melt well.
- Add vegetables: Add texture by finely chopping bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, or green onion and adding them to the crockpot dip.
- Ranch seasoning: Use Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning in place of the ranch. Add sour cream or Greek yogurt to replace the ranch in order to keep the consistency right.
- Blue cheese: Replace half of the ranch with blue cheese dressing, or add in blue cheese crumbles.
There are so many different ways to serve the classic dip, here are some of my favorite pairings:
- Veggies: This dip pairs perfectly with crunchy celery sticks and baby carrots! Feel free to experiment with what vegetables you dip, bell peppers or broccoli could work too!
- Chips and crackers: Tortilla chips, pita chips, regular potato chips, pretzel crisps, bagel crisps, or Ritz crackers are delicious ways to scoop the dip!
- Quesadillas: Stuff a tortilla with the buffalo chicken dip, fold it in half, and saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side. Top with salsa or dip in sour cream.
- Sandwiches: Sandwich leftover buffalo chicken dip in between two slices of bread, on baguette slices, or make buffalo chicken sliders with Hawaiian rolls!
- Lettuce wraps: For a low-carb lunch idea, scoop buffalo dip into lettuce boats or romaine and serve.
- Appetizers: This compliments many of our other Appetizer recipes as well.
Yes! Prep all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to cook. Then, cook per instructions. Or, follow instructions until step 5, cool, and refrigerate. Before serving, add the remaining cheese and reheat in the crockpot or oven until the dip is bubbly.
You can make this dip with 1.5 lbs of raw chicken breasts. However, the cooking time will be much longer.
Yes! Follow the instructions in our baked Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe.
The dip may be runny just after cooking but will thicken as it cools. If your dip is still runny, you may have not added enough chicken. Using low-fat cream cheese could also make your dip runny. To fix it, stir in some more cheese or chicken.
Using all-white meat like chicken breast will result in a less greasy dip. Make sure you stir ingredients well to ensure the dip is uniformly combined so grease doesn’t pool on the dip.
make dip with raw chicken-
- Add chicken, ranch, hot sauce, and ¼ cup of chicken broth to the crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the crockpot.
- Add cream cheese and shredded cheese to the chicken and close the lid. Cook until the cheeses melt, about 30 minutes.
- Stir everything together and serve.
Store & Reheat –
- STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- REHEAT: Place leftover buffalo chicken dip in an oven-safe dish, cover with foil, and reheat in the oven until warmed through. Or, microwave until warm. The dip can also be eaten cold if desired.
- FREEZE: We do not recommend freezing this recipe, as the cheeses will separate after having been frozen.
More Dip Recipes:
If you enjoyed this dip recipe, be sure to try our other popular dip recipes for your next event:
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 2 (8 oz each) cream cheese cut into chunks
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (1½ pounds)
- 3/4 cup Frank’s RedHot Sauce
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Add the cream cheese, chicken, Frank’s RedHot sauce, ranch dressing and 1½ cups of the cheddar cheese into the slow cooker (be sure that the cheese doesn’t touch the crockpot). Close the lid.
- Cook on high for 1½ to 2 hours or until cheese melts and chicken is heated. Stir until well-combined; top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Close with the lid and cook for 15 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted on top.
- Serve and enjoy, friends.