Amazing recipe for the classic Korean Carrot Salad. Raw finely julienned carrots seasoned with ground coriander, chili pepper and sautéed onions in oil all mixed together and topped with fresh cilantro.
The crunchy and crispy carrots, lightly fermented will stay fresh if refrigerated for days! Perfect salad recipe to prepare ahead of time for potlucks or parties.
This crunchy carrot salad recipe is loaded with so many flavors! This salad is a classic recipe in this Russian and Ukrainian cuisine. This salad is a great side dish recipe for any occasion and loved by everyone!
how long will this carrot salad last?
The great thing about this crunchy salad is that it lasts for days! I love to make a double portion and keep it in a large major jar and store it in the fridge for up to 10 days!
How to make Carrot Salad
Cutting the carrots is the key when making the carrot salad. Hold the carrots at a slight angle to get long thin strands.
- Julienne the carrots. (TIP: we use THIS slicer for the best results!)
- Season carrots with ½ teaspoon salt and toss. Set aside for the juices and flavors to release from the carrots.
- Sautee the onions, remove them from heat. Stir in the minced garlic and set aside to completely cool.
- Once the sautéed onions have completely cool, mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Add the ingredients from the pan over carrots. Mix until salad is combined. Add fresh cilantro or parsley. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Enjoy for days.
NOTE: In the traditional carrot salad, the seasonings are added directly to the carrots. I find it easier to mix to combine everything with the oil and onion.
Try these other great salad recipes:
- Olivier Salad Recipe– A classic Russian potato salad recipe.
- Broccoli Cabbage Salad– The best salad recipe!
- Marinated Mushrooms and Peppers Salad– A light mushroom salad recipe!
Korean Carrot Salad Recipe
- 8 large carrots, julienned
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup oil (olive oil or canola)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp distilled-white vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1//4 cup fresh herbs (coriander or parsley), finely chopped
- Peal and Julienne the carrots. In a large bowl, combine carrots and ½ tsp salt. Set aside.
- Finely chop the onion. In a skillet, heat oil. Once hot, sauté the onions until completely cooked and tender. Remove skillet from heat and mix in minced garlic.
- Once the onions are cooled, add in the pepper, remaining salt, paprika, chili powder, sugar, vinegar, and coriander. Mix well.
- Pour everything over the carrots and toss until completely combined. Refrigerate covered at least 2 hours.
- Add fresh herbs and serve.
- Enjoy, friends.