Amazing recipe for the classic Korean Carrot Salad. Raw finely julienned carrots seasoned with ground coriander, chili pepper and sautéed onions in oil all mixed together and topped with fresh cilantro.
The crunchy and crispy carrots, lightly fermented will stay fresh if refrigerated for days! Perfect salad recipe to prepare ahead of time for potlucks or parties.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
How to make Carrot Salad
Cutting the carrots is the key when making the carrot salad. Hold the carrots at a slight angle to get long thin strands.
- Julienne carrots.
- Season carrots with the ½ teaspoon salt, toss and set aside for the juices and flavors to release from the carrots.
- Sautee the onions, remove from heat. Stir in the minced garlic and set aside to completely cool.
- Once the sautéed onions have completely cool, mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Add the ingredients from the pan over carrots. Mix until salad is combined. Add fresh cilantro or parsley. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Enjoy for days.
NOTE: In the traditional carrot salad, the seasonings are added directly to the carrots. I find it easier to mix to combine everything with the oil and onion.
Though the salad originated in Korea, it’s a popular recipe in the Russian and Ukrainian cuisine. The carrot salad is a staple for parties, wedding, and a regular on the restaurant menus. Everyone has their personal touch they put on the salad and personal spin but the basis of the salad is the same – carrots taken to a whole new level.
Try these other great salad recipes:
- Olivier Salad Recipe– A classic Russian potato salad recipe.
- Broccoli Cabbage Salad– The best salad recipe!
- Marinated Mushrooms and Peppers Salad– A light mushroom salad recipe!
GETTING TO KNOW YOU: How do you make your carrot salad? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. 🙂
Korean Carrot Salad Recipe
- 8 large carrots, julienned
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup oil (olive oil or canola)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp distilled-white vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1//4 cup fresh herbs (coriander or parsley), finely chopped
- Peal and Julienne the carrots. In a large bowl, combine carrots and ½ tsp salt. Set aside.
- Finely chop the onion. In a skillet, heat oil. Once hot, sauté the onions until completely cooked and tender. Remove skillet from heat and mix in minced garlic.
- Once the onions are cooled, add in the pepper, remaining salt, paprika, chili powder, sugar, vinegar, and coriander. Mix well.
- Pour everything over the carrots and toss until completely combined. Refrigerate covered at least 2 hours.
- Add fresh herbs and serve.
- Enjoy, friends.