The ultimate homemade Shamrock Shake recipe is ready in under 10 minutes. Ice cream with heavy cream and mint flavoring is the best copycat of Mcdonald’s Shamrock Shake recipe.
This recipe along with our Strawberry Milkshake recipe are classic summertime favorites.
SHAMROCK SHAKE RECIPE-
This Mcdonald’s copycat shamrock shake recipe will become your go-to shake! The shake is so easy to make and tastes just like a real one. So, forget buying it when you can just make it at home for a fraction of the price.
A thick and sweet milkshake made with ice cream, heavy whipping cream, mint extract, and green food coloring for the ultimate effect!
What is a Shamrock Shake? A shamrock shake is a seasonal mint green flavored milkshake. It’s a popular dessert drink sold during March to celebrate St. Patrick’s day!
All you need is just 4 easy ingredients to whip up this delicious creamy shake with a shamrock shake flavor!
- Ice cream – you want to use a good quality vanilla ice cream that is rich and creamy so your milkshake can have the same effect.
- Heavy whipping cream – we love to use heavy whipping cream for the creaminess, you can also use half and half creamer.
- Mint – you want to use mint extract or spearmint extract.
- Food coloring – for the green you use green food coloring, liquid or gel food coloring will work.
HOW TO MAKE A SHAMROCK SHAKE-
This homemade Shamrock Shake can be ready in under 5 minutes! Add everything into a blender, mix, serve and enjoy!
- Blend: In a blender, add the ice cream, heavy whipping cream, mint extract, and green food coloring and blend until cream.
- Serve: Pour into glasses and garnish with desired toppings and enjoy!
Chef’s Tip: Do not overmix the shake or it will become runny instead of the creamy and thick consistency it should be!
Here are some of our favorite add-ins we like to add to our shake:
- Chocolate – Add half vanilla and half chocolate ice cream to give your shake a chocolate mint flavor. You can also just drizzle with chocolate for a lighter hint of chocolate.
- Oreo – This shamrock shake is amazing with crushed oreos! Add some oreos to the blender and top with more!
SHAKE TOPPING IDEAS-
Have fun with your shake toppings! Here are some of our favorite toppings:
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate sauce
- chocolate syrup
- Oreo cookie pieces
- Chocolate chips
- Maraschino cherries
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Peppermint extract tastes like the candy cane flavor and you want mint flavoring for this shake!
Yes, you can use half and half or even milk, but add less milk because milk is thinner so to keep it thick add less milk.
No, the food coloring is just for coloring and for effect. You can opt-out of the food coloring because it won’t change the flavor at all!
No, we do not recommend making this ahead of time. This recipe is so easy and comes together in under 5 minutes so there really is no need for prepping.
Yes! Just add the leftovers into an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month.
MORE DRINK RECIPES TO TRY-
- Iced Caramel Latte
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Sweet Tea Recipe
- Sparkling Peach Lemonade
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Mango Pineapple Smoothie
Shamrock Shake Recipe (McDonald’s Copycat)
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp mint extract
- 8-10 drops green food coloring
- In a blender, add the ice cream, heavy whipping cream, mint extract, and green food coloring and blend until cream.
- Pour into glasses and top with desired toppings and enjoy!