Delicious Chicken Zucchini and Mushroom Casserole. This casserole tastes so light and is full of flavor.
This Easy Meat and Potato Casserole is another great casserole recipe!
My kids don’t like any of the above except the chicken and cheese (unfortunately) so on one side of the pan I just leave the chicken large that way I can fish it out and just give them the chicken and cheese. I wish I started them on vegetables when they were younger so they enjoyed them more. Sigh.. If some of your family members don’t like mushrooms you can just add them to one side of the casserole. Just load the other side nice and mushroomy (if that’s even a word;)..).
Serve with mashed potatoes, a side of rice or even pasta. There is juice from the zucchini and tomatoes and it tastes so good. I like to pour the juice over my paste, oh my it’s good.
how to make this chicken casserole-
- With a grater, grate the zucchini. Light salt the zucchini, mix and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken breast into about 4-6 slices. Beat until all the pieces are even in thickness.
- Salt and pepper the chicken. Slice into chicken strips.
- Lay the chicken strips into a 9×13 thick casserole dish.
- Squeeze out the juice from the zucchini. Spread over the chicken.
- Slice the tomatoes and evenly spread over the zucchini.
- Slice and saute mushrooms in a skillet for about 2-3 minutes.
- Finely chop onions.
- In a skillet cook butter and onions for about 4 minutes. Combine with the mushrooms and add to the casserole dish.
- Combine everything for the sauce mixture. Pour the sauce over the mushrooms and spread.
- Top with cheese. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and turn the heat down to 355°F and cook another 10-15 minutes.
- The top of the cheese needs to start turning a golden color.
Check out these other casserole dishes:
- Potato casserole– Casserole with potatoes, cheese, and meat.
- Chicken and Mushroom Casserole– A simple and fast dinner idea.
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole– Rice, chicken and vegetables combine for the best dinner!
- Potato Chicken Casserole– An easy chicken thighs casserole.
Chicken Zucchini and Mushroom Casserole
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 large zucchini
- 6 campiri tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Herbs, optional
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- Grate zucchini on a grater. Lightly salt, mix, and set aside for about a 10 minutes.
- Slice each chicken into about 4-6 slices (depending how large your chicken is). Pound with a meat mallet until same in thickness. Salt and pepper each chicken breast. Slice into strips.
- Lay the chicken strips into a 13x9 dish.
- Take the zucchini and with your hands squeeze the excess juice.. Get as much juice out as possible. Spread zucchini over the chicken strips.
- Slice tomatoes. Evenly distribute over the zucchini. (If you have large tomatoes and no Campiri tomatoes, just slice them in half or quarter.)
- Clean mushrooms, slice and saute in a pan on high heat until pan is dry (about 2-3 minutes).
- Chop the onions. Add onions and butter to skillet, lightly salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes. (If the casserole will be baked immediately the mushrooms/onions can be added to the dish. If baking will take place later, wait for the mushrooms/onions to cool before adding to dish).
- Prepare the sauce mixture. Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce, lightly salt and pepper.
- Pour over the mushrooms and spread
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Bake in s preheated oven to 400°F for about 45 minutes. Remove foil and turn heat down to 355°F and cook another 10-15 minutes. The top of the cheese needs to start turning a golden color.