Delicious layered Chicken Zucchini and Mushroom Casserole. Though the casserole is loaded with so much flavor, it’s a really light and healthy dish.
We really enjoy casserole and another favorite of ours is the Easy Meat and Potato Casserole!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
chicken zucchini mushroom casserole-
For those of you that like zucchini and mushrooms, this casserole dish is for you. Layers of seasoned chicken topped with zucchini and tomatoes and loaded with cheese. Once the casserole bakes, all the flavors come together and this is one amazing dish.
Not only is it so delicious, it’s also extremely easy to make.
how to make this chicken casserole-
- With a grater, grate the zucchini. Lightly salt the zucchini, mix and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin even chicken strips.
- Spread out the chicken into a 9″×13″ casserole dish.
- Squeeze out the juice from the zucchini. Spread over the chicken.
- Evenly slice the tomatoes and top over the zucchini.
- Slice and saute mushrooms with the onions. Add over the tomatoes,
- Combine everything for the sauce mixture and pour the sauce over the mushrooms, spread.
- Generously top with the shredded cheese. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 45 minutes.
- Remove foil cook another 8-10 minutes, until the cheese starts to turn golden.
Serve the hearty chicken casserole with a side of mashed potatoes, rice or even pasta. You can use the juices from the bottom over top of your side for added flavor.
I hope you give this unique recipe a try, especially if you like chicken, zucchini and mushrooms. This makes a really large portion and if you don’t need this large of a dish, either cut the recipe in half or prepare two dishes and freeze one for later.
other hearty casseroles to try:
- Potato casserole– Casserole with potatoes, cheese and meat.
- Chicken and Mushroom Casserole– A simple and fast dinner idea.
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole– Rice, chicken and vegetables combine for the best dinner!
- Potato Chicken Casserole– An easy chicken thighs casserole.
Chicken Zucchini and Mushroom Casserole
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cut into strands
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 6 campiri tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- herbs, optional
- Grate zucchini and lightly season with salt, mix. Set aside until needed.
- Slice chicken into thin strips (strands) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the chicken strips into a casserole dish.
- Squeeze any excess juice from the zucchini. Spread zucchini over the chicken strips.
- Slice tomatoes. Evenly distribute over the zucchini.
- Slice mushrooms and saute with the finely chopped onions and butter. Spread over top of the tomatoes.
- Whisk together the ingredients together for the sauce.
- Pour over the mushrooms and evenly spread.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 400°F for about 45 minutes and bake another 8-10 minutes, until cheese turns golden.