An easy layered Chocolate Cake Recipe with Strawberries. Soft and airy chocolate cake layers with a strawberry puree, almonds and a rich cream. This is a great recipe for those that like strawberries and chocolate.
This cake makes a large portion, you can try our smaller version of this cake if this is too big.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
chocolate cake recipe-
This cake brings together so many wonderful flavors. The chocolate cake is so easy to make and the layers are so soft and airy. They are then coated with a strawberry puree and a really creamy and rich cream. The cake is topped with fresh strawberries and toasted almonds, the perfect finish to an already delicious cake.
how to make chocolate cake recipe with strawberries-
- CHOCOLATE CAKE– Prepare two 9″x13″ baking pan by covering pans with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs with sugar and beat for about 15 minutes on high speed.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the flour with baking powder and cocoa.
- Add the flour mixture to the beaten eggs/sugar and fold in with a spatula fold in, don’t overbeat.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans, bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- ALMONDS– Spread sliced almond evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 365˚F for about 5 minutes or until golden, set aside to cool completely.
- PUREE– Quarter the strawberries and blend with the heavy whipping cream and sugar until the strawberries are in small pieces but not completely pureed.
- CREAM– Beat cream cheese until creamy, be sure it’s room temp. Add in the powdered sugar, condensed milk and butter, mix again. Add in cool whip and on low speed, mix until incorporated.
- ASSEMBLE CAKE– Once the cake layers are cooled, slice in half lengthwise. Take the first layer and cover with strawberry puree. TIP: The puree with only be added to 3 layers, so divide evenly. The top layer will not get the puree.
- Add cream to the second layer and place the layer cream down OR just gently spread the cream over the strawberry puree.
- Repeat with remaining layers. Distribute the cream over top and sides of cake evenly.
- DECORATE: Use a little more than half of the almonds and cover the sides of the cake. Crush the remaining almonds.
- Add chocolate shavings around rim of the cake. Then add freshly sliced strawberries and then the crushed almonds in the center.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Keep the cake covered and refrigerated.
This cake seems a little intimidating and it really isn’t. It’s a rather simple cake and is great for large parties.
Try these other desserts:
- Layered Coconut Cake– for the coconut fans.
- Coffee Roulade– if you like coffee.
- Tiramisu Berries Cake– unique twist on tiramisu.
- Carrot Cake Recipe– perfect fall weather dessert.
Chocolate Cake Recipe with Strawberries
- 16 oz strawberries, minus 4 for top
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- chocolate shavings
- strawberries ( 4 from pack above)
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
prepare chocolate cake-
- Preheat oven to 365˚F.
- Prepare two 9x13 size pans Cover pans with parchment paper, butter pans and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar and beat for about 15 minutes on high speed or until tripled in size.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa.
- Turn the mixer to lowest speed and slowly slowly add the flour. Once added, turn of the mixer and with a spatula fold in flour working from the bottom up, careful not to overbeat.
- Divide the mixture between the two pans. Bake 18-20 minutes, check the center of the cake for readiness with a toothpick.
- Spread the sliced almonds evenly in a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in about 5 minutes, or until golden in color. Set aside to cool.
- Quarter the strawberries and blend with the heavy whipping cream and sugar until all strawberries are in small pieces but not completely pureed. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese with powdered sugar, condensed milk and butter until smooth at medium speed. Turn mixer to low and add the cool whip, mix until combined.
assemble the cake:
- Once layers are cooled, cut in half lengthwise. Take the first layer and set onto your platter. Completely cover the layer with the strawberry puree. (The puree will not be added to the top layer, therefore, it should be divided evenly between the first 3 layers.)
- Take the second layer and before adding it to the first layer cover it with cream.
- Gently take the layer and flip it over as you are putting it onto the first layer, the puree will meet with the cream.
- Do this to all four layers. Cover top and sides with cream.
- Use a little more than half of the almonds and cover the sides of the cake. Take the rest of the almonds put them in a Ziploc bag and gently crush them, set aside.
- With a vegetable slicer, make chocolate shavings, add around the rim of the cake.
- Take the leftover strawberries and slice them into thin slices. Lay them atop the chocolate and overlapping go around the whole cake.
- In the middle of the cake, add the crushed almonds.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Enjoy, friends.