Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies are so simple to make and are so delicious. Crunchy chocolate meringue on the outside and soft and chocolatey on the inside.
These chocolate chip meringue cookies are amazing! It’s kind of like a chocolate chip cookie but in crunchy form. The cookies come together quickly and are much easier to make than most classic meringue cookies. This is a chocolate lover’s dream.
The tarter acts as a stabilizer and adds volume to the meringue cookies. Fluffy and airy cookies that have so much flavor in every bite.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies-
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly beat in the vanilla and sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. The mixtures should be glossy.
- With a spatula, mix in the sifted cocoa.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chip morsels.
6. Drop heaping tablespoons onto a cookie sheet and dust with cocoa if desired.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until dry. The cookies are ready when they are hard to touch.
TIP: Once cookies are baked, turn off the oven and open the door, allowing the meringue cookies to cool before removing them to room temperature.
How Do I Store Meringue Cookies?
These cookies are the best if stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week (though they probably can last long – they just never do at our home, ha!..).
This Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookie recipe was shared with me by a coworker many years ago when I first got married and was working at an office job; we loved the recipes; it’s a keeper recipe for sure. I hope you love the meringue cookies as much as we do
Try These Other Great Dessert Recipes:
- Sweet Crunch Bites– Crunchy dessert balls.
- Nutella Rice Krispie Treats– The best no-bake bars.
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins– Moist banana muffins with chocolate chips.
- Rice Krispie Treats– Classic rice Krispie treats with chocolate and dried fruit.
Chocolate Meringue Cookies Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- ⅛ tsp cream of tarter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups chocolate chip morsels
- cocoa for dusting, optional
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tarter at high speed. Do this for about two minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Keep the mixer running while adding vanilla and sugar. Beat for about three more minutes or until stiff peaks form. The mixture should be glossy.
- Add cocoa powder and chocolate chips and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Use a tablespoon to make large drops of batter on a baking sheet and dust with cocoa.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the tops are dry.
- Wait until the cookies are cooled before removing them from the baking sheet and serving.
- Check out our post for pro tips on beating egg whites.
- Leave an inch of space between the cookies on the baking sheet.
- Store leftover cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.
NOTE: This is an old post we are updating with new photographs May, 2019.