This Tomato Zucchini and Cheese Tart makes such a wonderful side dish. A puff pastry sheet layered with tomato, zucchini and cheese slices then baked.
tomato zucchini and cheese tart-
Layers of puff pastry sheet topped with slices of thin tomatoes, zucchini and cheese. The dish bakes and the cheese melts between the tomatoes and zucchini and you get a bite of all the ingredients in one bite. A truly delicious and gorgeous side dish to serve at parties or potlucks.
I love baking with pastry sheets. Using the store-bought dough makes for a quick appetizer or side. They can be used as a savory side like our Seafood Phyllo Cups or even the Cherry Pastry Cake, if you’d like to make a dessert.
how to make zucchini tart-
- Remove a pastry sheet from the freezer and completely thaw. Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Spray 9″x13″ baking pan with baking spray. Place pastry sheet on the pan, spread some of the sheet to go up again sides of pan to create sides for the tart.
- Slice the zucchini into thin slices, we got about 21 slices. Slice the tomatoes into about 4 slices each. (Tips: The larger slices in the middle of tomato cut in half. If tomatoes are very juicy, dab lightly with a paper towel. Too much tomato juice with make the pastry sheet soggy and hard to bake.)
- Cut cheese slices in four equal parts.
arrange the tart-
- Start with either the tomatoes or zucchini.
- Place three tomatoes down. Top with 3 slices of cheese and three slices of zucchini, then another row of cheese. Continue until you get to the end of the pan.
- Brush top of veggies and cheese with the olive oil. Lightly season with salt, pepper and basil.
- Cover pan with foil, bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes, until cheese melts and starts to become golden in color.
Whenever I go to a potluck or party, I always enjoy the side dishes (or appetizers). I like to try new recipes and an entree fills you up too quickly. Enjoy these other side ideas for your next party:
try these other great recipes to serve as a side dish:
- Uzbek Samosa– Filo dough pies with an amazing spread.
- Fried Zucchini Recipe– Fried zucchini topped with tomatoes and a garlic mayo spread.
- Hot Sandwiches– Delicious canapes topped with a cheesy deli meat mixture.
- Chicken Alfredo Flatbread– An amazing homemade flatbread with the best Alfredo sauce.
If you like zucchini, you’re going to enjoy this easy and gorgeous tart!
Don’t forget to leave us feedback in the comments below if you try this recipe, we love hearing from you.
Tomato Zucchini and Cheese Tart
- 1 Puff Pastry sheet
- 1 large zucchini
- 3-4 medium/large tomatoes
- 10-11 pieces square Mozzarella cheese, or any other white cheese
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Remove pastry sheet from freezer and completely thaw. Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Spray 9x13 pan with baking spray. Place pastry sheet on bottom of pan. Some of the sheet will go up against sides of pan.
- Slice the zucchini into thin slices. (About 21 slices)
- Slice tomatoes into about 4 slices. The larger slices in the middle of tomato cut in half. If tomatoes are very juicy, tap lightly with a paper towel. Too much tomato juice with make the pastry sheet too soggy and hard to bake.
- Cut cheese slices in four.
- Start with either the tomatoes or zucchini. (Whichever you have more of.)
- Place three tomatoes down. Top with 3 slices of cheese.
- Top with three slices of zucchini. Top with cheese.
- Continue until you get to the end of the pan.
- Brush top of veggies and cheese with the olive oil. Lightly salt and pepper. Sprinkle with basil.
- Cover pan with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20-25 minutes until cheese melts and starts to become a golden color.