This easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast truly is the best recipe for making pot roast in a crock pot. The meat becomes so flavorful and pull-apart tender. Adding the potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms makes it a one-pot meal that won’t require a side dish. The perfect meal for a busy evening with a prep time of 10 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
what is pot roast in a crockpot?
A pot roast is a chunk of meat browned then cooked in a slow cooker (crockpot) in seasoned liquid (broth) until tender, juicy and falls apart. Potatoes and carrots are the classic combinations when making a pot roast.
TIPS how to make pot roast in a slow cooker-
- When browning the meat, get your oil nice and HOT in the pan before adding the meat to give the meat a crispy finish.
- Be sure to give the meat a good sear before adding to the slow cooker. It gives the meat a crispiness you otherwise wouldn’t have.
- Add the vegetables and potatoes later than the meat. This will keep the vegetables and potatoes from becoming mushy yet hold their flavor.
- The roast will release juices as it’s being cooked. There will be plenty of liquid once the roast is cooked.
NOTE: Season the chunk of meat the night before and keep refrigerated, the seasonings will penetrate throughout the entire meat resulting in a more flavorful chunk of meat. This is optional and not a must.
what is the best cut of meat for a pot roast?
Choose a cut that is tough and will tenderize during the slow cooking process. Chuck roast, chuck steak, pot roast are all great or your favorite cut of meat will work for this recipe.
what kind of potato goes into pot roast?
I prefer the sweeter mini Yukon gold potatoes in this recipe, but, you can add cubed Russell potatoes if that’s all you have on hand.
what vegetables go into slow cooker pot roast?
Though the classic slow cooker pot roast is with potatoes and carrots, don’t limit yourself to those two. Adding different vegetables will not only help give the dish more of a taste, but you also won’t need a side salad! We enjoy adding whole mushrooms and green beans to the pot roast. If you like a bit of a kick to your food, add a few pepperoncini to the roast when adding the vegetables.
Adding onion and celery during the first part of the cooking will give the beef and liquid additional flavors. Then just discard of them when adding the remaining vegetables.
when to add vegetables and potatoes to pot roast?
I don’t like to add the vegetables and potatoes immediately to the pot roast. In my humble opinion, they become too mushy. I like to let the meat cook halfway then add the meat 3 hours before serving if on low and about 1 ½ hour prior to finish if cooking the roast on high.
The vegetables and potatoes are still tender and juicy but the perfect texture and finish.
how long does it take to cook a pot roast in a slow cooker?
Cooking this slow cooker pot roast will depend on the temperature of your crockpot during cooking (and until meat is soft and falls apart and vegetable are desired tenderness.)
- If cooking on low, cook time will be between 7-9 hours. If cooking on high, cook time will be between 5-6 hours.
instant pot option-
- Follow instructions, cook beef 60 minutes on high. Release pressure. Add potatoes and vegetables, select manual to 5 minutes (6 minutes for larger potatoes). Allow pressure to release naturally. Enjoy!
what to do with leftover beef pot roast?
If you have leftover meat from the slow cooker pot roast, use it the next day to make a pulled beef sandwich. Add your favorite barbecue sauce and reheat the meat. Then, add to bread and you have yourself a pulled barbecue sandwich. So tender, moist and flavorful.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for Slow Cooker Pot Roast with potatoes and carrots. The perfect family dinner when comfort food is wanted. 🙂
The Best Slow Cooker Pot Roast
vegetable & potatoes-
- 4 carrots, cut into strands
- 10 oz mushrooms, whole
- 2 lbs mini potatoes, whole
- 4 celery sticks, cut into 3 parts
- 1 medium onion, halved
- Generously season the meat with the salt, pepper, and the garlic powder on both sides. Rub seasoning into meat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until really hot. Place the meat into skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Place meat into slow cooker.
- Cut the celery sticks into three parts, add on top of the chuck beef.
Cut onion in half and add in with the celery (on sides of meat).
- In a bowl, combine the minced garlic, beef broth, salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, flour, basil, oregano, and paprika.
- Pour into crockpot over the meat and celery/onions.
- Cook the meat 2-3 hours on high, or 4 hours on low.
- Discard onion halves and celery sticks.
- Wash the potatoes (I leave the skin on). Peel and cut the carrots into strands. Clean mushrooms.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and mushrooms to the slow cooker covering with the liquid.
- Cook another 2-3 hours if cooking on high, or 3-4 hours on low until meat is tender and vegetables cooked through.
- Remove beef church from slow cooker. Pull apart with two forks.
Place meat onto a serving platter, add the potatoes, carrots and mushrooms onto the platter. Pour some liquid over everything.
Serve and enjoy.
- Enjoy with barbecue, A1 sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.