Prepare to be amazed by this Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken breast recipe. The chicken breast is stuffed then smothered in a wine sauce and becomes so flavorful, juicy, and oh so tender. Serve chicken with mashed potatoes for a complete meal!
BROCCOLI CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN-
If you like stuffed chicken breasts, this broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken must go on your to-try list! Not only is the chicken absolutely delicious, but the dish is also so easy to make!
The Chicken & Filling-
- Chicken breast– a large chicken breast is needed
- Broccoli florets– raw broccoli
- Shredded cheese– any cheese will work
- Diced tomatoes– dice any tomatoes
- Seasoning– salt and pepper
- Small onion– sweet or regular onion
- Butter– unsalted butter
- Garlic cloves– minced or finely chopped
- All-purpose flour– to thicken sauce
- Chicken broth– regular or low sodium
- Heavy whipping cream– will give the sauce richness
- White wine– any white wine
- Seasoning– salt and pepper
How to make Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken-
Don’t be intimidated by this recipe, it’s not hard to make at all. Read the recipe all the way through and you’ll be good to go.
- Prep oven– Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Beat chicken– Beat large chicken breasts so it’s even in thickness. Butterfly the chicken by cutting it in the center but don’t cut all the way through, we just need a pocket.
- Make filling– Finely chop the broccoli. In a small bowl, combine the broccoli, cheese, tomatoes and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Fill chicken– Carefully fill the chicken breast with the filling and secure with a toothpick.
- Cook– Sear both sides of the chicken until golden. Remove the toothpicks from the chicken, just hold the chicken with a fork as you remove the toothpicks.
- Saute onion– Add the onion and butter into a skillet and cook until onion is fragrant, remove the onion and discard. TIP: If you don’t mind onions, just finely chop them and keep them in the sauce, don’t discard.
- Thicken sauce– Add the garlic to the sauce and cook until fragrant. Quickly whisk in flour and mix.
- Add liquids– Add the wine and cook. Add the broth and heavy whipping cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back into the sauce and bake at 375°F covered with foil for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
I don’t have an oven-safe skillet? If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, just transfer the chicken to a baking dish and pour sauce over the chicken, cover, and bake.
This is a great recipe to prepare in advance. Prepare the chicken breast per instructions and the sauce. Then, just refrigerate both separately.
To serve– Just cover the chicken in the sauce and bake. You’ll need to bake an additional 5-7 minutes because the chicken is cold.
WHAT KIND OF WINE CAN I USE?
You want to use any dry wine. Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Blanc, or Chardonnay are all great choices (I used Chardonnay in this recipe). You don’t have to purchase an expensive bottle for cooking. Mine was like $7.00 and it works great!
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES:
Chicken is by far one of our favorite meats to cook, we have so many different Chicken Recipes. Here are some of our favorite recipes:
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
Chicken and Filling-
- 4 chicken breast boneless skinless
- 1 cup broccoli florets cut into small florets
- 1 cup shredded cheese see note
- 2/3 cup tomatoes diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for sauteing
How to Stuff Chicken-
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Beat chicken breasts until even in thickness.
- Butterfly the chicken to create a pocket but don’t cut all the way through.
- In a small bowl combine the broccoli, cheese, tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Stuff the chicken with the filling and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sear chicken on both sides until crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, take out the toothpicks and cover to keep warm.
Make Wine Sauce-
- Add the butter and slides onions to the skillet and saute over medium heat until the onion is tender, discard the onion.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Whisk in flour and mix vigorously.
- Add the wine and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the broth, heavy cream, season with salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Bake Stuffed Chicken-
- Return the chicken to the skillet and pour sauce over the chicken.
- Cover the skillet with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the internal reading of chicken is 165 degrees.