Crispy chicken in a honey sauce served over Creamy Mac and Cheese is everything you could ask for in a recipe, and the recipe will become a family favorite.
We really enjoy easy dinners. Just like this recipe, our Cheesy Meat Rotini and the Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe are frequently on the menu.
chicken with creamy mac and cheese-
This recipe is a copycat recipe for Applebee’s 4 Cheese Mac & Cheese with Honey Pepper Chicken, but a simplified and easier version of the recipe. I cannot begin to tell you how amazing the recipe is. The creamy mac and cheese is loaded with bacon, lots of cheese in a parmesan alfredo sauce. And the chicken is breaded and fried them smothered in a honey sauce that takes the recipe over the top!
Once you give it a try, your whole family will be hooked. Though I am not a huge fan of mac and cheese, this recipe is an exception, it is GREAT!
how to make chicken with creamy mac & cheese-
Don’t be intimidated by the recipe and its instruction. It’s actually really simple to make and is so quick to prepare. 🙂 Trust me, it’ll be worth every ounce of trouble you go through once you try the final product.
cook the pasta-
In a Dutch oven (or large pot), cook the mac an cheese according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain pasta and return to pot, close lid to keep warm.
how to make chicken in honey sauce-
Add the ingredients for bowl 1, bowl 2 and bowl 3 in three separate bowls. Slice the chicken horizontally and pat the chicken dry. Dredge into bowl 1, then bowl 2 and generously into bowl 3. Repeat with remaining chicken.
TIP: If any part of the chicken is really thick, pound that section with a meat mallet for even thickness.
Heat oil in a skillet and once hot, saute the chicken until crispy on both sides.
Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients for the honey sauce. Once the chicken is fully cooked, pour the sauce over the chicken and allow to simmer until sauce thicken. Don’t cook over high heat, it will burn the chicken and sauce.
how to make creamy mac and cheese-
While the chicken is simmering, prepare the mac and cheese sauce.
Cut bacon into bite-sized pieces and saute until crispy. Once cooked. remove the bacon from the skillet, reserving about 2 Tbsp of grease. Add the garlic and butter to the skillet and cook until garlic is fragrant. Vigorously mix in the flour. Then add the remaining ingredients for the sauce, add the broth, cream, parmesan cheese, shredded cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine and cook until sauce comes to a soft boil.
Add the drained pasta and bacon to the sauce. Mix well.
what kind of cheese do I use for mac and cheese-
You can use your favorite cheese or mixture of cheeses for this recipe (this is for the 3/4 cup cheese). Here are some favorite choices we like:
- sharp cheddar with mozzarella
- Colby jack with Havarti
- white cheddar
- gouda and Havarti
We had a little bit of Havarti, gouda and cheddar we needed to use up and that’s what we used.
how to serve the chicken with mac and cheese-
You can serve this amazing dish in two ways. You can serve the pasta on the side with the whole chicken or you can slice the chicken and just add it over top of the pasta (this is how they served it at Apple bee’s).
NOTE: I only have 2 chicken sliced in this picture, but this recipe makes 4 chicken, it was just easier to take a picture this way.
Though we have many recipes that freeze great, this is not a recipe we recommend freezing.
ENJOY, friends! I can’t wait for you to try this mac and cheese with chicken recipe a try (and totally fall in love)!
try these other easy dinner recipes:
- Potato Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- Simple Taco Bowl Recipe
- 30-Minute One-Pan Lemon Chicken
- Baked Chicken Fajitas
Chicken with Creamy Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 8 oz macaroni pasta
- 8 oz bacon, cubed and cooked
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless skinless, sliced (total 2 pieces)
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp chili powder
mac and cheese sauce-
- 3 Tbsp bacon grease
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese (see note)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Cover and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise.
- Prepare bowl 1, bowl 2 and bowl 3.
- Coat the chicken breast into the flour in bowl 1, transfer to the bowl 2 and coat.
- Lastly, generously dredge in bowl 3. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- In a skillet heat 3 Tbsp oil. Once hot, add the chicken breasts. Cook over med/high heat until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, pepper, and chili powder.
- Once the chicken is cooked pour in the honey sauce and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook until crispy. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving about 1 Tbsp of grease.
- Add butter and minced garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant.
- Vigorously mix in the flour until well combined.
- Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, Parmesan cheese, shredded cheese(s), salt, and pepper. Mix and bring to a soft boil.
- Mix in the macaroni and bacon into the sauce.
- Slice the chicken breast into slices and add to the creamy macaroni and cheese. Or serve chicken on the side.