Easy homemade Creamy Potato Soup with chicken, bacon and spinach in a rich broth. This soup is loaded with so many flavors and ready in just 30 minutes, great comfort food.
This soup is great with homemade bread, try it with Russain Bread recipe.
creamy potato soup-
This easy creamy potato soup loaded with chicken, bacon, carrots and spinach in a rich broth is truly amazing. The combination of flavors compliment each other and truly is the perfect bowl of soup when craving something hot and comforting.
This soup reminds me of Zuppa Toscana but with chicken and red potatoes. So GOOD!
how to make creamy potato soup-
- BACON- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven, remove and reserve about 2 Tbsp grease.
- CHICKEN- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and sautee until chicken is fully cooked.
- SAUTE: Finely chop the onions. Add to the Dutch oven with the chicken and saute until tender. Slice the carrots, add to the Dutch oven and cook until carrots are tender.
- POTATOES: Meanwhile, cut the red potatoes into thin slices. We like to keep the skin on in this soup but that’s a personal preference and you can peel the potatoes. Add the potatoes to the Dutch oven. (If you are cutting potatoes ahead of time place in water, drain before adding to the pot.)
- LIQUIDS: Add the broth and water to the Dutch oven and the seasonings. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- SPINACH: Chop the spinach. Add to the soup.
- HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: Add the heavy whipping cream to the soup.
- SOUP: Add bacon back. Add more seasonings if needed.
Once you give this comforting soup a try, it will become a favorite for kids and adults alike. Our kids, who don’t really care for spinach, love this soup. Enjoy, friends. And don’t forget, we love your feedback in the comments below.
Try these other SOUP recipes:
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup-classic soup in the crockpot.
- Pasta Fagioli Recipe– so hearty.
- Easy Chili Recipe– the easiest chili recipe.
- Meatball Noodle Soup– kids’ favorite.
Creamy Potato Soup with Chicken
- 1 lb chicken thighs bite-sized pieces
- 8 oz pack bacon 1/2 pack
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1½ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- ½ tsp ground paprika or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups packed spinach chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Trim the fat off the chicken thighs and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Cube bacon into small pieces and saute in a Dutch oven. Once the bacon is crispy, remove it from the Dutch oven. Leave 2 Tbsp of bacon grease in the pot.
- Meanwhile, cube the potatoes and submerge them in cold water.
- Add chicken thighs to the Dutch Oven and cook. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add chopped onion to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the sliced carrots and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, and seasoning to the pot. Bring to a soft boil until the potatoes are fork-tender or about 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach, heavy cream, and bacon to the pot. Bring to a light boil and turn off the heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Season the broth as you cook! Potatoes absorb salt, so the soup may need to be tasted and adjusted for seasoning.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze the soup and store it for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before warming over the stovetop.