This Avocado Ranch Dressing is a creamy sauce with an avocado base, mixed with mayo, dairy, and fresh herbs! It can be used as a dressing, a dip, or as a topping to so many entrees! It’s just as good as the popular Taco Bell avocado ranch and Chick-fil-A avocado lime ranch dressings, but made healthier at home!
If you’re looking for another great dressing recipe, try this Russian Dressing or the classic Caesar Salad Dressing!
Avocado Ranch Dressing:
This Avocado Ranch Dressing is a healthier, homemade version of a classic, restaurant favorite Ranch Dressing. The dressing is so easy to make, just add the ingredients to a food processor and blend until velvety smooth! You can top a variety of recipes with the dressing or eat it as is, it is so versatile! It comes together in just a few minutes and adds incredible flavor to every dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- It’s a healthier, copycat version of a store-bought version, made without extra additives!
- The avocado pairs perfectly with the dairy and herbs for a flavorful sauce.
- Made in a food processor for minimal cleanup.
- The dressing is filled with fiber from the ripe avocado!
- Can be simplified by using Hidden Valley Ranch Powder.
The simple ingredients for this Avocado Ranch Dressing are:
- Avocados- you want to make sure the avocados are ripe for the creamiest result. Don’t use overripe avocados, as they won’t store well.
- Mayonnaise- mayo adds creaminess to the dressing.
- Sour cream- contributes to a creamy dressing.
- Milk- milk helps thin the recipe. Use less milk to make the dressing into more of a dip.
- Lemon juice- lemon juice helps to prevent avocados from browning.
- Seasonings- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder add the flavoring.
- Herbs- fresh herbs are the best and add amazing flavor. Use cilantro and dill, or switch things up with your favorite herbs. Parsley and chives are also good options.
How to Make Avocado Ranch Dressing:
This recipe couldn’t be easier to whip together!
- Prep herbs- Finely chop the cilantro and dill.
- Blend- In a food processor or blender, add the avocados and sour cream, herbs, mayo, milk, lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Chill- To maximize flavor, chill the dressing in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve and enjoy, friends!
Substitutions and Variations-
The avocado ranch dressing can be customized to taste, here are some popular substitutions:
- Use yogurt: You can replace the mayo and sour cream in this recipe with plain Greek yogurt for some extra protein. Or, try adding some buttermilk for an extra tang.
- Use store-bought powder: If you want a quicker recipe, substitute the seasonings with a tablespoon of Hidden Valley ranch powder, or to taste.
- Substitute lemon: You can substitute the lemon juice with lime juice for an avocado lime dressing. Or, substitute with one teaspoon of vinegar.
- Use dried herbs: If you don’t have fresh cilantro and dill on hand, you can use dried instead.
- Add spice: Add half of the jalapeno if you want to add spice to the dressing. Control the heat by leaving in seeds or using more jalapenos.
Use this avocado dressing to top many different recipes, or enjoy it on its own!
- Topping: Use the dressing as a topping for Burrito Bowls, your favorite Tacos, beef or Chicken Fajitas, or even loaded nachos!
- Dip: Use less milk to make a thicker dip for crackers, veggies, fries, or chicken wings.
- Dressing: Use the ranch as a salad dressing, will especially pair well with our Grilled Chicken Salad!
- Pasta sauce: You can toss your favorite pasta in this sauce or use it in a Pasta Salad!
- Spread: Use as a spread for Wraps or sandwiches!
frequently asked questions?
Avocados are a great source of healthy fats and anti-inflammatory compounds. Make the recipe even healthier with Greek yogurt instead of mayo and sour cream!
You can use your favorite plant-based milk and substitute the mayo and sour cream with dairy-free, plain yogurt.
You can make the dressing in a blender or whisk the ingredients by hand in a bowl! We love THIS blender and use it all the time.
Store & Freeze-
- STORE: Refrigerate in an air-tight container or in a mason jar for 3-4 days.
- FREEZE: We don’t recommend freezing this recipe, as the dairy won’t hold well in the freezer.
More Recipes with Avocados:
If you enjoyed this avocado recipe, be sure to try our other popular recipes with avocados:
Avocado Ranch Dressing
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp fresh dill chopped
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Serve as a dressing or dip, and enjoy, friends!