Discover our quick and delicious, easy chicken stir fry recipe, a dish with roots in Chinese cuisine. In just 30 minutes, you can whip up this flavorful meal. Juicy chicken and vegetables are combined with a savory sauce, a hallmark of asian cuisine. Enjoy this stir-fry recipe with fluffy rice or noodles. This stir fry brings a taste of Chinese culinary tradition to your table.
Savor the best chicken stir fry, where poultry meets colorful vegetables. Imagine tender chicken marinating in soy, ginger, and garlic, while bell peppers, broccoli florets, and carrots add a burst of color. After searing the chicken, a savory sauce of soy, chicken broth, and sweetness bathes the ensemble. The result: a flavorful masterpiece.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and convenient: Ready in just 30 minutes for a hassle-free meal.
- Bursting with flavor: The combination of savory chicken, colorful veggies, and a sweet-savory sauce is a taste sensation.
- Versatile: Serve it over rice or noodles to suit your preference.
- Easy preparation: Simple marinating and stir-frying steps make it accessible for all skill levels.
- Family favorite: A surefire crowd-pleaser that will become a go-to recipe.
Stir Fry Ingredients
Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients
Ingredients for the Chicken Stir Fry
- Chicken – chicken breast works the best.
- Vegetables – for the vegetables we used mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, onion and carrots.
- Cashews – add a delicious crunch to the stir fry.
- Chicken broth – adds deep flavor to the sauce.
- Soy sauce – we use low-sodium to control the sault level.
- Honey – a touch of sweetness balances the saltiness of the sauce.
- Cornstarch – thickens the sauce.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities, see the recipe card below.
How to Make Chicken Stir Fry
Stir fry is always an easy dinner idea. You have the protein, veggies, and sauce all in one pan ready in under 30 minutes.
Step 1: In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the chicken stir fry sauce.
Step 2: In a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil, sauté the chicken until browned. Cover and set aside to keep warm
Step 3: In the same skillet cook the vegetables until they are tender.
Step 4: Add the chicken back in with the vegetables. Throw in your garlic and ginger, and saute until fragrant. Pour the sauce
Step 5: Add in the sauce and turn the heat down to low. Cook until the sauce thickens, stirring as needed.
Step 6: Garnish the stir-fry with green onions and sesame seeds, and serve with rice!
Expert tips for making the BEST Stir Fry
- Meat: To slice meat easily, put your steak in the freezer for 30 minutes before cutting. Use a sharp knife for thin, even slices.
- Sauce: Want more sauce in your stir fry? Double the amount you use. You can save any extra sauce in the fridge for later.
- Cooking technique: Cook your stir fry quickly on high heat, and don’t walk away to prevent burning since thin meat cooks fast.
- Vegetables: Don’t cook your veggies for too long in the stir fry. You want them to stay a bit crunchy, not turn mushy in the sauce.
You can use beef, pork, chicken thighs, or tofu with great results. The cooking time will just slightly need to be adjusted according to the protein used.
Yes, this recipe is 100% gluten-free.
Yes, stir fry with chicken may be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container as long as no pasta has been added to the dish (pasta doesn’t freeze well). Transfer the cooled stir fry to an airtight container and freeze. Thaw in refrigerator and reheat in a skillet or microwave.
You can either omit cashews entirely or replace them with another type of nut like peanuts.
Store & Reheat
- Storage. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. Be sure to completely cool the chicken before refrigerating.
- Reheat. Reheat stir fry in a skillet over low until reheated. Or, place it in a microwave-safe container and cover it with a damp towel. Microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.
If you tried this EASY Chicken Stir Fry Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating and feedback in the comments below – we really appreciate it!
Easy Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
chicken stir fry-
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless skinless (or chicken thighs) cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced or cubed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small carrot, julienned or cubed
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, cubed
- 1/2 cup cashews
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the stir-fry sauce and set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium/high heat, heat 1 Tbsp oil. Once hot, add the chicken and saute until chicken is browned, stirring as needed. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil and the butter to the skillet. Add the zucchini, broccoli, onions, mushrooms, red peppers, and carrots. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring as needed.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook 1 minute.
- Add the cashews and pour the sauce into the skillet and bring to a soft boil.
- Turn the heat down and allow the stir fry to simmer until the sauce thickens and is well incorporated, stir often. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
- Serve, and enjoy friends!
- Leftover: Store leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: To freeze leftovers, wait until the chicken is cooled and place in a freezer-safe container. Store for up to 3 months.
- Extra sauce: You can make extra sauce and store it in the fridge for up to a week.
NOTE: Recipe developed by Valentina’s Corner, and first published on Natasha’s Kitchen.