This homemade Ham and Cheese Sliders recipe is a party favorite served as an appetizer or starter. Soft and buttery Hawaiian rolls with layers of ham and cheese topped with our Homemade Honey Mustard Sauce then baked!
If you love sliders, these sliders along with our Philly Cheesesteak Sliders and the Buffalo Chicken Sliders are always a hit.
HOT HAM AND CHEESE SLIDERS-
Hawaiian buns with slices of ham and cheese then drizzled with sweet honey sauce and baked until the meat is heated and the cheese melts – so much flavor.
The sliders are not only great for potlucks, game day and parties, but they are also a great option for an easy weeknight dinner served with a salad Caesar Salad or soup Chicken Gnocchi.
The ham and cheese sliders are a great idea as you can make them ahead of time and keep them refrigerated, then just bake them before serving.
What you’ll need-
With just a few simple ingredients, you can have these hot ham and cheese sliders ready to be enjoyed!
- Buns- For the ultimate sliders, we recommended using Hawaiian sweet rolls for this recipe. You can also use Homemade Dinner Rolls or your favorite buns. Slider buns are smaller than classic buns making them great for a large crowd.
- Ham- You want to use your favorite deli ham from the deli department of your local grocery store; Bavarian ham, off-the-bone ham, or even leftover Ham sliced will work in this recipe.
- Cheese- We use provolone sliced cheese for these sliders. You can also use your favorite slices of cheese. Swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, or shredded cheese will all work great.
- Honey Mustard Sauce- The key to the perfect sliders is the honey mustard sauce! You can either use our Homemade Sauce or substitute for store-bought sauce.
- Garlic Butter Mixture- Melted butter, garlic powder, and poppy seeds make up the butter topping.
HOW TO MAKE HAM AND CHEESE SLIDERS-
These easy ham and cheese sliders are not only absolutely delicious, but they are also so quick to prepare and great to make in advance!
- Prepare pan- Preheat the oven to 365°F and line a 9×13-inch pan with parchment paper for easier cleanup.
- Make Sauce- Make one portion of the Honey Mustard Sauce, and set aside.
- Cut buns- With a serrated knife, slice the Hawaiian buns in half lengthwise. Lay the bottom half of the rolls into the prepared baking dish.
- Assemble Sliders- Arrange the slices of ham over the bottom layer of the buns and add the cheese slices. Pour the honey mustard sauce all over the cheese and then close with the top half of the rolls.
- Brush Tops- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, poppy seeds and garlic powder for the butter mixture and generously brush the tops of the rolls.
- Bake- Bake until the ham and cheese sliders are warmed through and the cheese has melted. If the tops of the rolls start to turn golden and the cheese hasn’t melted, cover them with aluminum foil and continue to cook until the cheese melts.
- Serve and Enjoy!
We share a classic take on baked ham and cheese sliders. There are so many different variations to the sliders you can create, here are some ideas:
- Bacon- Add cooked bacon to the ham for added flavor and savoriness.
- Mustard- Spread dijon mustard instead of the honey mustard sauce if you’d like a tangy and sharp flavor.
- Onion- Spread caramelized or sauteed onion over the ham for added flavor. If adding onions to the center, you can add 1/4 tsp onion powder to the butter topping as well.
- Pickles- Surprising, pickles are great in these sliders.
- Bagel seasoning- Add bagel seasoning to the butter topping and leave out the poppy seeds.
Easily make the sliders in advance and then just bake before serving.
- Prepare the recipe per instructions. Tightly cover your baking dish and refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven and bake according to the instructions.
- Serve and Enjoy!
STORING & REHEATING-
- Refrigerate: Store the leftovers in an airtight container or tightly sealed in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Assemble the sliders and tightly covered them with plastic wrap and foil and freeze. Thaw overnight and bake per instructions. Or store it in freezer safe container.
- Reheat: Reheat the sliders in the air fryer, toaster oven, or oven until reheated.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
No, we like to add the poppy seeds for extra flavor but you can totally leave the seeds out.
Yes, these ham sliders are great either hot or cold! Once cooled, they don’t need to be reheated and may be enjoyed cold.
Yes, you can substitute the ham for turkey, salami, pastrami, or even a mixture of meats.
MORE RECIPES FEATURING HAM:
Ham and Cheese Sliders Recipe
- 1 portion honey mustard sauce
- 12 hawaiian buns
- 3/4 lb ham
- 1/2 lb provolone cheese
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 365°F and line the pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare one recipe of homemade honey mustard sauce.
- Cut the rolls in half lenghtwise and remove the top half of the rolls.
- Lay out the ham, overlapping each other. Add the cheese over the ham, overlapping the slices.
- Finally, spread the sauce over the cheese.
- Place the top buns back on.
- Combine melted butter, garlic and poppy seeds and brush tops of rolls.
- Cover with foil. Bake 18-20 minutes until cheese completely melts. Remove foil, bake another 3-5 minutes until tops of rolls are golden.
- Serve and enjoy, friends.