Learn how to make the BEST crunchy garlic and butter homemade croutons from scratch! The ultimate crouton recipe that will complete all of your favorite salads and soups!
If you enjoyed this recipe for homemade croutons, we’d love for you to subscribe to our YouTube Channel. (P.S. Click the BELL icon to get notifications of new videos.)
If you have leftover bread you don’t know what to do with, make homemade croutons. This recipe comes together so easily and you can have homemade croutons in under 30 minutes. Crunchy and crispy croutons loaded with flavors, you will never want to use store-bought croutons again.
With just a few basic ingredients you can have your croutons ready to be enjoyed! All you need is:
- BREAD– To get the BEST results you will want to stale bread. You can use french bread, sourdough, or any leftover white bread or bread rolls.
- SEASONING– For this recipe, we use salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. You can add any of your favorite seasonings to your croutons and change!
- BUTTER & OIL– The oil and butter are what give you that crunchy and crispy crouton.
- EXTRAS– You can also add different add-ins to your croutons, like herbs, parmesan cheese, or even fresh lemon!
HOW TO MAKE CROUTONS-
- PREP– Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a bowl, combine the seasonings.
- BREAD– Cut the bread into uniform pieces, about ½” – ¾” cubes.
- SEASON- Add the bread cubes into a mixing bowl. Drizzle half of the melted butter, oil, and seasoning, and toss. Pour in the rest of the butter, oil, and seasoning and toss again.
- BAKE: Add the bread to a 9×13 baking sheet and bake.
- Enjoy, friends!
HOW TO ENJOY CROUTONS-
You can enjoy these homemade croutons in so many different ways, all of them so GOOD!
- SALADS– We love adding these croutons to the classic Caesar salad, Cobb salad, and other salads!
- SOUPS– Add these croutons to your Tomato Soup or to your Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
- CASSEROLES– These are great to use in casseroles and even for stuffing!
- SNACK– I love to enjoy these just like that, such a delicious and crunchy savory snack.
- BREADCRUMBS– Crush croutons with a rolling big for homemade breadcrumbs.
|Making homemade croutons with stale bread |
is a great way to use up bread so you don’t have to throw it away.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Store at room temperature 3 days, refrigerated 5 days and frozen 2 months.
Store the croutons in an airtight container or tight plastic bag.
Yes! You can freeze the croutons, then just thaw and reheat until crispy again.
MAKE CROUTONS WITH HOMEMADE BREAD:
If you want to make your own bread and then make croutons, here’s a few great breads for croutons:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the bread into 3/4” inch cubes, all the same size for even baking.
- In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the bread pieces into a large bowl and drizzle with half of the melted butter, oil, and seasoning. Toss and repeat with the remaining butter, oil, and seasoning.
- Add the seasoned bread pieces into a 9×13 baking sheet and lay out evenly, without any bread pieces overlaying each other.
- Baked at 375°F for 16-18 minutes, until desired crunchiness.