These breakfast Zucchini Pancakes are the perfect savory pancake recipe for an easy brunch idea. Filled with eggs, zucchini, ham, and cheese, these pancakes are a hearty meal that will keep you full for hours! They take less than 30 minutes and will be loved by your whole family.
BREAKFAST ZUCCHINI PANCAKES video:
Breakfast is the most important and, personally, my favorite meal of the day to prepare and enjoy. These pancakes are the best way to mix up your breakfast routine with a unique, savory flavor. They are a delicious mix of grated zucchini and eggs that are filled with a gooey center of chopped ham and cheese and sauteed to perfection.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE:
- The egg and zucchini mixture is so flavorful and the ham and cheese filling takes it to the next level!
- They are so easy to whip up, perfect for a brunch party!
- These freeze well for make-ahead breakfasts.
- You can customize these to your liking with your favorite breakfast meats and cheeses.
- Zucchini- fresh zucchini is a wonderful vegetable that is high in fiber and low in calories. Grated zucchini becomes tender and extra flavorful when cooked.
- Eggs- large eggs add protein and give the pancake the breakfast flavor.
- Flour- a couple of tablespoons of all-purpose flour works to bind the ingredients.
- Garlic- amplifies the flavor of your pancakes.
- Ham- adds protein and texture to the inside of the savory pancake.
- Cheese- shredding your own cheese is cheaper but also tastes better. It will also melt better in the pancakes.
- Salt and Pepper- classic seasonings to elevate the flavor of the zucchini pancakes.
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST ZUCCHINI PANCAKES:
- Grate zucchini: Start by using the coarse side of a box grater to grate your zucchini. Squeeze grated zucchini to remove as much moisture as possible. (Don’t skip this step- it helps prevent soggy pancakes!)
- Chop ham: Finely chop ham into even, bite-sized pieces
- Whisk eggs: In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs
- Combine ingredients: In a large bowl, combine zucchini, eggs, garlic, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Heat pan: Heat a large skillet over medium heat with enough oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cook Fry: Once the oil is hot, distribute the batter into even-sized fritters. Top each fritter with some chopped ham and shredded cheese. Cover the ham and cheese with a bit more of the zucchini mixture. Fry 3-4 minutes, per side (be sure to flip carefully).
- Serve and Enjoy, friends!
|Chef’s Tip: Use a ¼ measuring cup for even-sized fritters!|
SUBSTITUTES AND VARIATIONS:
These savory fritters may be tweaked to your personal liking, here are some ideas:
- Substitute cheese: Feel free to change this up with your favorite type of cheese. We like to use Mexican or Colby Jack cheese. Mozzarella, feta, or parmesan cheese are other favorites. Or, try a combination of different cheeses.
- Different meat: We love the flavor that ham adds to these fritters, but you can use cooked bacon, turkey, or even pre-cooked breakfast sausage for this recipe if you’d like!
- Substitute spices: Feel free to add your favorite spices such as onion powder or dried herbs. Or, add some finely diced onion to the mixture for even more flavor.
- We love to serve these with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped dill on top.
- Add some Sriracha or hot sauce for a spicy kick.
- Complete the meal with Shredded Hashbrowns or these Breakfast Potatoes!
- Compliment the meal with a Blueberry Banana Smoothie.
frequently asked questions:
You can use almond flour to make these pancakes gluten-free.
Be sure to squeeze out all excess moisture from your zucchini. Otherwise, you risk soggy pancakes! You can let your zucchini sit in a colander for a few minutes to release more juice and squeeze it twice, if you find your pancakes too wet.
You don’t have to peel the zucchini before grating it, you can if you choose to, though.
STORE & FREEZE
- Store: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in your microwave, toaster, or air fryer for a few minutes.
- Freeze: Fry pancakes and cool completely. Place into a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 2 months. Thaw and reheat before serving!
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES TO TRY:
Breakfast Zucchini Pancakes
- Grate zucchini on the coarse side of a grater and squeeze grated zucchini to remove excess moisture. Lightly whisk eggs. In a bowl, combine grated zucchini, eggs, garlic, flour, salt and pepper; mix well.
- In a non-stick skillet, over medium heat, heat oil (just enough oil to lightly cover the bottom of skillet).
- Once the oil is hot, scoop mixture onto pan. Repeat until skillet is full. (I used 2 skillets at the same time so all cooked together). With a spoon, gently distribute mixture evenly.
- Add some ham and cheese to each fritter.
- Then, add more egg mixture to close the patty so the ham and cheese are covered.
- Cook 3 minutes, carefully flip patties and cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.