If you’ve enjoyed our classic Beef Stroganoff, you will love this Chicken Stroganoff recipe that’s ready in just 30 minutes. Seasoned chicken breast seared and smothered in a rich mushroom stroganoff sauce – so good!
If you enjoy chicken in sauces, try the popular Chicken Marsala and the Lemon Chicken in Butter Sauce.
Chicken Stroganoff Recipe-
Though beef stroganoff is a favorite in Russian cuisine and so popular in all restaurants, this Chicken Stroganoff Recipe is a personal favorite. The crispy seared chicken combined with the amazing mushroom stroganoff sauce is an amazing combination of flavors.
Why you’ll LOVE this Recipe-
- Easy- This recipe comes together so quickly and can be made and enjoyed in less than 30 minutes!
- Flavorful- Though the recipe uses simple ingredients, there is so much flavor in the dish.
- Inexpensive- The stroganoff is a great dinner idea and feeds the family on a budget.
- Make ahead- You can easily prep the dish ahead of time then just add the chicken into the sauce, reheat and enjoy.
How to Make Chicken Stroganoff-
This recipe comes together quickly so you’ll want to have your sides prepped and ready to be enjoyed.
- Make seasoning: In a bowl combine the salt, pepper, and garlic for the chicken seasoning.
- Cut chicken: Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise, and beat the chicken until even in thickness.
- Season chicken: Season the chicken on both sides.
- Cook chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet, once hot add the chicken. Sear for two minutes per side then turn the heat down to look and cook an additional 4-6 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
Make Stroganoff Sauce-
- Saute the onion and mushrooms then add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour quickly.
- Add the sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and chicken broth and whisk to combine.
- Turn the heat down and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring as needed.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and cover it with the mushroom sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Stroganoff is classically served with pasta or noodles, you can also serve it with Mashed Potatoes with great results. Here are some great sides to enjoy with the dish:
- Side salad like our popular Russian Olivier Salad.
- Fresh bread like our Russian Bread or Italian Bread.
- For a lighter side, serve with Roasted Broccoli or Glazed Carrots.
- Refrigerator: Store the leftover chicken in the fridge covered in an air-tight container for 2-3 days.
- Freeze: We do not recommend freezing the dish as the sour cream will curdle.
- Reheat: Reheat the chicken and sauce over low heat until reheated.
| MAKE-AHEAD: |
1. To make ahead, cook chicken and store it in a container.
2. Make the sauce and store it in a separate container.
3. Before serving, add the chicken and sauce to a skillet and cook over low heat until reheated.
FREQUENTLY Asked Questions-
Yes, you can easily substitute chicken breast with chicken thighs with great results.
Sour cream works best in the recipe but you can easily substitute it for cream cheese or Greek yogurt.
You can use any mushrooms you have on hand. Baby Bellas, white mushrooms, or cremini mushrooms all work great.
You can follow our classic Beef Stroganoff Recipe.
More Chicken Recipes:
- Chicken Scampi Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Baked Chicken Wings
- Orange Chicken Recipe
- Skillet Chicken Breast
chicken stroganoff sauce-
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 12 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl combine the salt, pepper and garlic for the chicken seasoning.
- Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise, beat chicken until even in thickness and season on both sides.
- In a large skillet, add the oil. Once hot, add the chicken. Sear two minutes per side then turn heat down to look and cook an additional 4-6 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the butter, onion and mushrooms. Saute until onion is tender and mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour quickly. Add the chicken broth, sour cream, Worshershire sauce andd quickly whisk to combine.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and cook until chicken is reheated.
- Serve and Enjoy!