This Garlic Butter Chicken recipe is an easy, flavorful recipe that will have you in and out of the kitchen in under 20 minutes. The juicy chicken is the perfect weeknight dinner that will quickly become a family favorite!
Juicy Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe:
This butter garlic chicken is so simple to make! It is the perfect idea for a busy weeknight and will be loved by your whole family. It’s a one-pan, stovetop meal and uses ingredients you probably have in your kitchen. It can be served in so many different ways and reheats well so it is perfect for meal prepping!
- Chicken: You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs for this recipe.
- Flour: Dredging the chicken in flour seasoned with salt and pepper will give it a crispy coating and will give the sauce something to stick to.
- Oil: A high-heat cooking oil like olive oil will help you get the best sear on your chicken. However, canola oil or peanut oil will work just fine.
- Garlic Butter Sauce: One portion of our Garlic Butter Sauce is the secret to this flavorful chicken that uses fresh garlic cloves!
How to make Garlic Butter Chicken:
This recipe comes together quickly in just one pan and results in the most tender and juicy chicken dish!
- Prep Chicken: Slice your chicken in half lengthwise.
- Prep Breading: Combine the flour with the salt and pepper and stir to evenly distribute seasoning.
- Coat Chicken: Dredge your chicken through the flour mixture until evenly coated.
- Saute Chicken: Add oil to a large skillet and heat on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add your coated chicken, making sure not to crowd your pan to ensure even cooking. Saute chicken for about 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Garlic Butter Sauce: Add butter, garlic, minced herbs, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Cook until the butter melts.
- Add Chicken Back: Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and cover it with the butter garlic sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Substitutes and Variations:
- You can use chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or chicken tenders for this recipe.
- Use your favorite herbs or whatever herbs you have on hand in the garlic butter sauce. A combination of any of the following will work: parsley, cilantro, dill or thyme!
- This recipe is best with FRESH herbs but if you don’t have any on hand, dried herbs will work in a pinch.
- Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor.
- If you like your food spicy, add some red pepper flakes and or a touch of hot sauce for a subtle kick!
This recipe is so versatile and can be served in so many different ways! Here are some of our favorite pairings for this tender garlic butter chicken:
- With a side of Mashed Potatoes.
- Serve over a bed of fluffy Rice.
- Serve some roasted vegetables such as zucchini, brussels sprouts, our favorite Oven Roasted Broccoli, or this Air Fryer Asparagus on the side.
- Make a side salad like our Caesar Salad to complete the meal.
- Try some cauliflower rice for a lower-carb meal.
frequently asked questions-
Yes, you can use ¼ tsp garlic powder to replace one large clove of garlic. Pro tip: Dried herbs are more potent so you always want to scale back! A good ratio is 1 tablespoon fresh herbs = 1 teaspoon dried herbs.
The thickest part of your chicken should reach 165℉ on a thermometer.
You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, chicken tenderloin, or even chicken thighs or drumsticks. Keep in mind that cooking times will vary depending on the chicken cut you use.
Place the chicken into the microwave or reheat in a skillet until warmed through.
Completely cool the chicken and add it to a freezer container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To enjoy, thaw, and reheat as directed above.
You can store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More chicken Recipes:
If you enjoyed our butter garlic chicken, try some of our other favorite chicken recipes:
- Easy Chicken Thighs In Oven
- Pan Seared Chicken Breast
- Baked Lemon Butter Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Chinese Sweet & Sour Chicken
Or, try our Garlic Butter Sauteed Shrimp for another quick and easy garlic butter recipe!
Juicy Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe
- Slice the chicken breast in half lengthwise.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken into the flour mixture.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and cover to keep warm.
- Add the ingredients for the butter sauce and cook until butter melts.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce and cover in sauce.
- Serve and enjoy.