A quick and easy recipe for the BEST Grilled BBQ Chicken. Smokey and a juicy chicken breast smothered in barbecue sauce and grilled to perfection.
The ultimate dinner idea for grilling season joining our popular Grilled Salmon and Vegetables!
GRILLED BBQ CHICKEN RECIPE-
Chicken breast is marinated in our simple Grilling Marinade and then grilled and smothered in barbecue sauce. We love enjoying this recipe all summer long for a hearty lunch or easy dinner. It’s even great for a potluck or barbecue with friends.
Try our other barbecue chicken recipes like our delicious BBQ Chicken Wings, juicy Chicken Drumsticks in BBQ sauce or our BBQ Pulled Chicken.
This recipe is not only easy to make but also requires only a few ingredients!
- Chicken– You can use any chicken for this recipe we used boneless skinless chicken breast. You can also use chicken thighs, tenders, chicken wings, drumsticks, or any bone-in chicken parts with or without the skin.
- Marinade– For the marinade, we use our classic grilled chicken marinade recipe that is simple and so delicious.
- Barbecue– You want to use your favorite barbecue sauce! We love using Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ CHICKEN ON THE GRILL-
Have this juicy chicken ready in no time! You don’t want to overcook the chicken so be sure to have your toppings ready before the chicken is done grilling.
- Marinade Chicken- Marinade your choice of chicken using our marinade for grilled chicken, marinate at room temp while prepping and preheat the grill.
- Grill– Grill the chicken until crispy and cooked through, flipping halfway.
- Smother– Brush the chicken with barbecue and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve– Remove from the grill and serve with your choice of toppings.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, you always want the grill ready before adding your meat or veggies to the grill.
The internal temperature of cooked chicken should read 165°F. We like to use THIS meat thermometer.
Check out our Grilled Chicken Marinade for the proper grill time for each type of chicken.
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days in the fridge.
Yes, you can freeze leftover bbq chicken! Once the chicken is cooled, add it to a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 2-3 months.
The grill should be at 350°F (med/high heat) when adding your chicken to the grill.
Have the ultimate dinner when you pair it with the best sides! Here are our favorite sides to pair it with:
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Grilled Veggie
- Corn on the Cob
- Baked Potato
- Refrigerator Pickles
- Macaroni Salad
- Coleslaw Recipe
Grilled BBQ Chicken Recipe
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken thighs & drumsticks
- 1 cup barbecue
grilled chicken marinade-
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp ground paprika
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp italian seasoning
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
marinating the chicken-
- Add the chicken into a large bowl or plastic bag and toss with the oil.
- Combine the salt, garlic, paprika, onion, Italian, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the chicken and mix again until combined.
- Marinate for atleast 30 minutes or overnight.
grilling the chicken-
- Once you are ready to grill the chicken, remove from the fridge and let it sit at room temp for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the grill to 400°F and clean and prep the grill.
- Add the marinated chicken to the grill and cook on medium/high heat for 15 minutes on once side. Flip the chicken and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- With a pastry brush, brush the barbecue on the chicken, covering all sides and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and serve with desired side dishes.