An easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe ready in just 5 minutes! The combination of spices and herbs comes together to give you the ultimate taco seasoning mix recipe.
Homemade Taco Seasoning –
We always have a batch of homemade taco seasoning on hand! The combination of flavors from the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, pepper flakes, and cumin gives you this delicious taco seasoning with a slight kick.
This homemade version is so easy, fast, and healthier than buying pre-packaged taco seasoning at the store.
|Homemade seasonings contain fewer additives and are much cheaper than store-bought seasoning. Our chicken seasoning and the cajun seasoning are a must-try as well!
Taco Seasoning Ingredients –
All you need to make this seasoning blend is just a few basic spices you most likely already have on hand.
- Chili powder – You want to use classic chili powder, but you can also use organic chili powder, dark chili powder, or hot Mexican-style chili powder.
- Paprika – We like to use the standard ground paprika but you can also use smoked paprika or sweet paprika.
- Onion powder – The onion powder brings you extra flavor!
- Garlic powder – Garlic powder because you can never go wrong with garlic!
- Cumin – Ground cumin is going to give you the depth of flavor.
- Oregano – You want to use dried oregano leaves or ground oregano. If you are going to use less if you use ground oregano.
- Red pepper flakes – This is for heat! You can adjust the number of red pepper flakes going in depending on your desired heat level!
- Salt & pepper – Enhanced flavor.
|CHEF’S TIP– You can adjust the amount to change the flavor and the heat level in your blend.
How to Make Taco Seasoning –
Have this spice blend ready to go in just 5 minutes!
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the seasoning blend.
- Add to a jar or seasoning tins for homemade seasonings.
Frequently Asked Questions –
In a store-bought packet, there are 2 Tbsps of seasoning.
If you store it in a spice container in a dry area it will last up to 6 months.
Since there already is salt in this seasoning you do not have to add salt.
For one pound of meat, you want to use about 2 Tbsps of seasoning or to taste.
How to use Homemade Seasoning –
The possibilities are endless in ways to use this seasoning! There are so many Mexican-inspired dishes that call for taco seasoning. Here are some of our favorite ways to use this seasoning blend:
- Taco meats – The most popular way to use this seasoning is in taco meat! We love using it in our EASY taco meat recipe.
- Tacos – You can use this seasoning in ALL tacos from classic tacos to shrimp tacos!
- Salad – The herb mixture is great in Mexican corn salad or in taco salad.
- Chicken – Use this seasoning when making air fryer chicken for a kick!
- Fajitas – We like to add this seasoning to our shrimp fajitas or steak fajitas.
- Dips – When making taco dip, this seasoning mixture is perfect for it.
- Bowls – This seasoning is perfect when making taco bowls, we even love adding it to our chicken quinoa bowl.
- Soup – We love using the blend in our taco soup recipe!
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- Combine all the ingredients for the taco seasonings.
- Place in an airtight container. Use as needed.