This Salmon Salad Recipe is perfect for a filling lunch or a quick dinner. It is a combination of flakey salmon, fresh veggies, and a creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing that brings the salad together. It is healthy and easy and is sure to become a new favorite!
Salmon Salad Recipe-
You can’t go wrong with a hearty salad! This is the best recipe for Salmon Salad! It’s a perfect combination of tender fish with crispy veggies. Salmon is a superfood, containing omega-3 fatty acids, protein, B vitamins, and potassium! It’s a great way to mix up your weekly meal plans and add important nutrients to your diet.
Why You’ll Love This Salmon Recipe:
- The combination of salmon and veggies makes for a nutritious, well-rounded meal.
- It’s a great way to use up what vegetables you have in your fridge!
- Salmon cooks quickly so this salad comes together in no time.
- Scale up the recipe to bring to a potluck!
- It’s light and flavorful and perfect for summer.
You likely already have all the ingredients on hand for this salmon salad recipe.
For the salmon:
- Salmon- cut salmon fillets into 1”-2” pieces for quick cooking. Or, cook it as a filet and shred salmon before adding it to the salad. You can also use leftover salmon like our blackened salmon recipe.
- Seasonings- we use salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic to flavor the salmon. Feel free to play around with your favorite spices!
- Oil- a tablespoon of olive oil or canola oil will help the seasonings adhere to the salmon and give it a crisp finish.
- Romaine- lettuce makes a crunchy base for the salad.
- Vegetables- we used chopped cucumbers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, and avocado.
- Hard-boiled eggs- follow this guide to make the perfect Hard Boiled Eggs!
- Croutons- a classic salad topping that adds crunch and flavor. Use store-bought or make your own croutons using our Crouton Recipe.
- Avocado Ranch Dressing- one portion of our creamy Avocado Dressing brings all the components of the salad together!
How to Make Salmon Salad:
You’ll be surprised by how quickly this salad with salmon comes together!
- Prep sauce: Prepare one portion of our Avocado Ranch Dressing recipe; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine seasonings: In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic.
- Prepare salmon: Cut the salmon into 1” to 2” cubed pieces and add to a medium bowl. Add oil and seasonings and mix until salmon is evenly coated.
- Chop vegetables: Rinse, (using this Vegetable spinner) spin, and chop the romaine. Slice or cube the cucumbers, red onion, and avocados. Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Slice eggs: Slice or cube the Hard-Boiled Eggs.
- Cook salmon: Heat skillet over medium heat. Cook salmon for 5-6 minutes, turning until all sides are cooked through.
- Assemble: Assemble the salad starting with the romaine, vegetables, and top with salmon. Drizzle with the avocado dressing.
- Serve and enjoy, friends!
Other Methods to Cook Salmon:
Salmon can be made in many ways, pick your favorite!
- Air Fryer: Air fry the Salmon at 400°F for 5-8 minutes, depending on the size of the salmon cubes.
- Oven: Place the salmon on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake at 400°F for 10-12 minutes.
- Grill: Grill the Salmon over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes per side.
Substitutions and Variations-
Easily change this salad recipe based on the ingredients you have and your flavor preferences. Here are some options:
- Canned salmon: Fresh salmon always tastes best, but if you’re in a pinch, use canned, boneless salmon instead for an equally filling salad. Be sure to drain the water.
- Different fish: We like this recipe best with salmon, but you could also use Arctic Char or Steelhead Trout to switch things up.
- Different veggies: Add what vegetables you have on hand to the salad. Bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, or pickled onions will work.
- Change dressing: If you want a lighter flavor, try our Greek Salad Dressing or a vinaigrette with lemon juice, olive oil, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add cheese: Feta cheese or cotija cheese would add a salty touch!
- Different Greens: You can use baby spinach, kale, arugula, or even iceberg lettuce instead of romaine. You can even combine different types of greens with great results.
- Add herbs: Finish the salad with fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, or fresh dill!
This recipe salmon salad is a filling meal served on its own. If you want a little extra something, try these options:
- Lettuce wraps: Rather than adding romaine to the salad, serve the salad in lettuce leaves.
- Side of bread: Serve with a side of Breadsticks or homemade Dinner Rolls.
- Grains: Serve with some quinoa, brown rice, or farro on the side to add fiber and magnesium to your diet.
- Sandwich: Serve in between two slices of bread to make a salmon salad sandwich! Or even use one slice of bread for an open-faced sandwich salad.
FREQUENTLY asked questions?
Salmon is best when hot and freshly cooked but may be served cold over the salad.
Use an instant-read food thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the salmon has reached 125°F.
This salad can be prepped up to 3 days in advance, just don’t mix until serving. Chop the avocado and add the dressing just before serving to prevent browning and a soggy salad.
Nope, you can cut the salmon into large filets. You’ll just need to allow for extra cook time for larger fillets.
Yes, frozen salmon will work just fine. Just be sure to thaw it overnight in the refrigerator for even cooking.
Store & Reheat –
- STORE: This salad can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days. We recommend storing the salmon, veggies, and dressing separately and combining just before serving to prevent a soggy salad.
- FREEZE: Cool salmon and freeze it in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months. We don’t recommend freezing the veggies or dressing.
- REHEAT: The salmon can be served warm or cold. If you prefer warm salmon on your salad, store it separately and reheat it just before serving.
More Salmon Recipes:
The BEST Salmon Salad Recipe
- 1 head romaine chopped
- 2 mini cucumbers sliced or cubed
- ½ red onion sliced or cubed
- 1 avocado sliced or cubed
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes about 1 cup, halved
- 2 boiled eggs sliced or cubed
- 1/2 cup croutons
- 1 portion avocado ranch dressing
- In a small bowl, combine the salmon seasoning: the salt, pepper, paprika and garlic.
- Add oil to salmon and toss, season with the seasoning.
- Heat skillet, cook salmon cubes 5-6 minutes, until cooked through.
- Chop romaine, slice cucumbers, onion, avocado, and halve the tomatoes. Slice the eggs.
- Assemble the salad starting with the romaine, followed by the vegetables and eggs. Top with salmon.
- Drizzle with the avocado dressing and toss everything together.
- Serve and enjoy, friends