The easiest recipe for the BEST Deviled Eggs. A detailed tutorial for perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs with a variety of filling ideas.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Deviled eggs recipe-
Deviled eggs are hard-boiled chicken eggs that are cut in half and filled with creamy mayo, egg yolk and mustard mixture. Other ingredients and seasonings may be added for additional flavors.
The eggs are often served as a cold appetizer or side dish and most commonly served around the holidays (like Easter and Thanksgiving) or at potlucks and parties.
How to Boil Eggs for Deviled Eggs?
STOVETOP- Add eggs to saucepan, completely cover the eggs with water and bring to a boil. Cook the eggs for 10-12 minutes. Drain the hot water and cover the eggs with cold iced water.
INSTANT POT- Add eggs to the inner pot of Instant Pot. Cover with cold water. Cook 5 minutes and naturally release for 5 minutes. Transfer eggs to iced water.
|Chef’s TIP- Unpeeled hard-boiled eggs will stay fresh if refrigerated for up to 7 days.|
How to Make Deviled Eggs?
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut in half lengthwise.
- Add the egg yolks to a bowl and mash with a fork. Add the mayo, Dijon mustard, vinegar, paprika with salt and pepper, mix to combine.
- Pipe egg filling into eggs (or just add with a teaspoon). Garnish with paprika, herbs or your favorite topping.
DEVILED EGG RECIPE VARIATIONS-
- BACON– Cooked bacon bits may be added to the filling and sprinkled over the top of eggs before serving.
- RANCH– Add ranch instead of the mayo for Ranch flavored eggs. Or drizzle Ranch dressing over classic egg filling.
- HERBS– Add your favorite herbs to the filling or add to the top of the eggs. Cilantro, parsley, and dill are great options.
- AVOCADO– You can add cubed avocado to the filling or mash the avocado and add less mayo.
- PICKLES– Finely cubed pickles go great with the classic filling mixture.
- HEAT– If you like spicy food, add hot sauce, Sriracha or season with chili or cayenne powder.
- SEASONING– We just love Everything Seasoning and it’s great sprinkled over the classic filling.
- CHEESE– Crumbled cheese like feta or grated cheese like mild cheddar or gouda are great options. You can also do blue cheese with Ranch.
- SMOKED SALMON– Chop smoked salmon and add to filling or over top of the filling.
- BACON AND AVOCADO– This is my personal favorite combination. Cubed avocado in the filling and topped with bacon bits.
FAQ’s about deviled eggs-
- How long in advance can you prepare deviled eggs? You can cook eggs and prepare filling up to two days in advance and keep refrigerated. Assembled eggs before serving.
- How to use leftover deviled eggs? Make an egg salad with leftover eggs. Or, enjoy the hard-boiled eggs over a Tuna Sandwich or the popular Chicken Salad.
- Leftover deviled eggs and mixture- Chop everything, mix and add to toasted bread for an egg sandwich.
I hope you enjoy the recipe for the classic Deviled eggs. They are so easy to make and oh so popular at parties!
OTHER SIDE DISHES TO TRY-
- Roasted Vegetables– with an easy sauce.
- Shuba Salad– Classic Russian salad.
- Bacon-Wrapped Chicken– so popular at parties.
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower– crispy baked cauliflower.
The BEST Deviled Eggs
- In a pot, add 6 eggs and cover the eggs with water. Cook on high heat, once water in boiling cook the eggs for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the eggs and add into a bowl of cold water and ice.
- Once eggs are cool, peel the eggs and cut in half. Add the egg yolks into a bowl.
- Add mayo, dijon, vinegar, paprika, salt and pepper to the egg yolks and mix until creamy.
- Top with desired toppings and serve on a egg platter.