Hearty gravy recipe. A twist on classic Chicken Marsala served as a gravy over your favorite side. Potatoes, rice, pasta or buckwheat are a great combination with the meaty gravy.
PIN this recipe to your ENTREES board HERE!
If you haven’t tried the classic Ukrainian mushroom and chicken gravy with vegetables we have posted on our blog, you are truly missing out. It’s such a wonderful recipe that is loved by all who have tried it. In the Ukrainian/Russian culture, serving gravy over mashed potatoes is almost a must. Unlike the traditional brown gravy in America, the gravy I grew up with is a meal in itself. It typically has a meat (chicken or beef), with vegetables, it’s very thick and filling.
I made the Chicken Marsala once for dinner and as I was serving the chicken with the mashed potatoes, a thought came to create a recipe for gravy with the ingredients. I tried once, it was a huge hit. The whole family loved the concept. Hubby asked for seconds, and that usually means it’s really good. I just had to tweak the recipe to get the proportions right with the thickness of the gravy. Once I had it finalized, I couldn’t wait to share it with you.
I really like using chicken thighs in this recipe, the meat comes out really tender. You then have the added flavor from the mushrooms and Marsala wine with chicken broth. A most perfect combination. The beauty of this recipe is that it can be served on your favorite side. You can serve it over creamy mashed potatoes, buckwheat, rice or even over pasta (whichever pasta is your favorite).
INGREDIENTS for CHICKEN MUSHROOM MARSALA GRAVY:
- chicken thighs
- chicken broth
- Marsala wine
- heavy whipping cream
- salt & pepper
Enjoy this recipe with a simple side salad, homemade bread and dessert of course.
I really like using THIS skillet with a cover for recipes such as this one. You can make everything in one pan and it cooks wonderfully. This is my favorite and most used pan for just about every recipe. It has tall sides so the ingredients you are cooking with don’t splash onto the stove top. The added cover is so nice.
If you make these CHICKEN MUSHROOM MARSALA GRAVY, please tag us in your creations, #ValentinasCorner. Or, e-mail us your dinners to [email protected] We LOVE seeing your recipes :)!
The classic recipe for Chicken and Mushroom Marsala but served as a hearty gravy over your favorite side (mashed potatoes, buckwheat, rice or pasta).
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, strips
- 1 tsp oil
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/3 c Marsala wine
- 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut chicken into thin strips. Slice mushrooms.
- In a Dutch oven (or deep skillet), on med/high heat, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add chicken, cook until fully cooked, turning as needed. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Remove from Dutch oven.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until golden, lightly salt and pepper. Add the butter. Once butter is melted, add flour and whisk vigorously. Add chicken broth and the chicken back. Bring to a soft boil, cook 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add wine and heavy whipping cream. Simmer 3-4 minutes. Garnish with your favorite herbs. Serve immediately.