This Chicken Marsala Gravy Recipe is a twist on the classic Chicken Marsala served as a gravy over your favorite side. Chunky chicken with mushrooms in a creamy marsala gravy.
Tender chicken pieces sauteed with mushrooms in a creamy Marsala wine gravy. Such a delicious hearty gravy that can be served over any side.
If you haven’t tried the classic Chicken Gravy, you are truly missing out. It’s such a wonderful recipe that is loved by all who have tried it. In the Ukrainian/Russian culture, serving the gravy over mashed potatoes is a must. Unlike the traditional brown gravy in America, the gravy I grew up with is a meal in itself. It typically has meat (chicken or beef), with vegetables, it’s very thick and filling.
chicken marsala recipe-
I made the Chicken Marsala Recipe once for dinner and as I was serving the chicken with the mashed potatoes, a thought came to create a recipe for gravy with the ingredients. The whole family loved the concept.
how to make gravy-
- Cut chicken into thin strips and slice the mushrooms.
- In a Dutch oven (or deep skillet), over med/high heat add the oil. Once hot, add chicken thighs and cook until fully cooked, stirring as needed. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Remove from Dutch oven.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until golden, lightly salt and pepper. Add the butter, once the butter melts, add flour and whisk vigorously.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven and add the chicken back, stir. Bring to a soft boil, cook 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour in the heavy whipping cream and wine and simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with your favorite herbs. Serve immediately.
what wine do I use for this gravy recipe?
You can use any red wine, we use a cheap Marsala wine from the grocery store.
what to serve chicken marsala gravy with-
The beauty of this recipe is that it can be served over your favorite side. You can serve it over creamy mashed potatoes, buckwheat, rice or even over your favorite pasta.
If you make these Chicken Marsala gravy, don’t forget to leave us feedback in the comments below.
Other recipes you’ll LOVE:
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – A simple and delicious chicken casserole.
- Chicken Mushroom Gravy Recipe – Hearty gravy recipe.
- Vegetable Chicken Stroganoff – Unexpected way to make chicken stroganoff!
Chicken Marsala Gravy Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 12 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut chicken into thin strips. Slice mushrooms.
- In a Dutch oven (or deep skillet), over med/high heat, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until browned, stirring as needed. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the Dutch oven.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until golden, lightly salt and pepper. Add the butter. Once butter melts, add flour and whisk vigorously.
- Add chicken broth and the chicken back to the Dutch oven. Bring to a soft boil, cook 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add wine and heavy whipping cream. Simmer 3-4 minutes. Garnish with your favorite herbs. Serve immediately.